Started this a couple of days ago. The excellent little Revell 1/72 P-47D-30 kit. Not sure what markings I'm going to do yet. I'm waiting on some decals in the mail. My references are the Squadron/Signal P-47 Thunderbolt in Action, Walk Around, and the Thunderbolt in the European Theater book.

The only thing I see that I dislike about this kit is that the fuselage profile is a bit pot-bellied. Nothing a little sanding stick can't fix.

IMG_0107a.JPG

IMG_0109a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This little Revell kit goes together pretty well. I have some shape issues with the cowling and pot-belly lower fuselage. Can't quite make them look right. Will probably have to live with it. Seat is freaking huge too and looks like it could be 1/48 scale. Will replace with something that looks more appropriate. FWIW, this is the only kit in 1/72 that I know of that gives you the Curtis Electric asymetrical paddle-blade prop. This prop stands out and was used on D-28, D-30 and D-40 but NOT the M or N. :D

Here's the progress so far. I have some Aztec decals for Mexican Air Force Jugs which I'm thinking about using. Also have an AviPrint sheet that has China, Burma & India 1st Air Commando Group Jugs that might be cool. Either one is out of the ordinary. Picked these sheets up from Hannants in the UK. They have an awesome selection of stuff and are great to order from.

I forgot to mention that this kit comes with the Curtis Electric asymetrical propeller. To my knowledge, this is the only kit in 1/72 that includes the asymetrical prop that was used on the some of the late D series birds.

IMG_0113.JPG

Edited by Ham
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some paint on now. Alclad in a semi-matt finish which I think looks good on a military aircraft. Hope to get some time later this weekend to mask off the anti-glare panel and Eastern Air Command ID stripes. SWMBO is keeping me occupied and away from the modeling bench.

I have pretty much settled on doing a D-30 from the 1st Air Commando Group in Burma during 1944 off AviPrint sheet 72011.

Clicky

IMG_0141.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have the rest of the painting and decals done now. Just need to let it all dry, do some touch up and add all the "fiddly bits."

This aircraft represents the 5th Fighter Squadron (Commando) of the 1st Air Commando Group in the China, Burma, India theater of operations, late 1944-45. Here is a link to the markings I used. Clicky It is AviPrint sheet 72011. They are very thin decals and work well. I am not quite certain if the "Eastern Air Command" stripes on the wings and tail were actually blue or black. Looking at several different black and white photos I'm not sure and my references contradict each other. :doh: I elected to go with blue in the end.

IMG_0152.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Done. Yes, there is some controversy over the correct colors for the wing and tail bands on natural metal aircraft. I know some were black, I think it is possible that blue was also used on 1st Air Commando Group aircraft. Possibly some color photos will surface.

IMG_0158.JPG