Braz Tristar Details

I noticed that Braz has a page for corrected engines for the Airfix 1:144 L-1011. Has anyone heard when this set is due for release? I'm assuming it hasn't been put on indefinite hold.

Also, while still on Tristars, I brought up the question, last year, of how to deal with the #2 engine inlet S-duct, and I'm still pooling ideas on how to make it. Has anyone dealt with this issue, on an aircraft kit or similar? This goes along with the fact that the Airfix kit has an atrocious empennage shape.

how to deal with the #2 engine inlet S-duct, and I'm still pooling ideas on how to make it. Has anyone dealt with this issue, on an aircraft kit or similar?

I used regular paper to create S-duct for #2 engine.

Take rectangular piece of paper (about 3"*3"), made several parallel cuts on opposite sides, leaving about 0.5" on middle untouched, and then glue those side "leaves" together to create required curvature. Then paint in required color and glue it inside of duct. I will try to find a pictures of those in process.

I'd noted that you made that suggestion a year ago. It's tantalizing, but I'm concerned about structural integrity, as well as time needed to get it right.

The effort wasn't in vain, though. Someone on Airline Modeling Digest said he used 45-degree copper fittings for his S-ducting, and that is what I found. I will still need to cut it, but it is in roughly the right shape, and it will provide much-needed strength when I re-shape the exterior of the empennage.

MiG31, sorry for repetition... I completely forgot that I gave you this "recepie" last year and failed to follow link this time.. Sorry.

My personal objection against this copper fitteing is thickness of this fitting's wall. I think it's much thicker than it should be... But I would like to see picture and hwo knows - I could be wrong.

The thickness of the parts was a concern of mine as well. Hopefully I won't have to remove too much copper and plastic to make the parts fit.

Meanwhile, I still haven't learned anything new about the release date for those Braz parts.

• 3 weeks later...
.... It's tantalizing, but I'm concerned about structural integrity...

Once you obtained the right shape with paper you can soak the resulting duct in superglue from the outside: it will get considerably stronger and yet much thinner than copper tubing.

Fabio

I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is no "release date" for anything Braz does. He gets it done when he gets it done. He's a one man show with lots of irons in the fire.

J

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I did an airfix Tristar a few months ago (posted on Britmodeller). I softened the plastic under hot water while 'squeezing' the 'S' into it with my fingers before cooling it off with cold water. This was to narrow the tail and make the S more pronounced. The S bend inside was then made up with Miliput built up on both halves. It was by no means a complete fix, but it definitely improved it and the duct is wide enough to do some blending / sanding once glued together. Here she is:

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

Having already bought this kit, I was reluctant to buy a Welsh Models kit when in large, most of the issues can be ironed out of the Airfix model. There's also something I find rewarding about bringing these classic kits to life.

Neil