Best KC-97 reference?

Is there a book on the KC-97 out there? I've looked but haven't seen any. I just bought a back issue of "International Airpower Review" that has a feature on the KC-97 and there are some great shots on airlines.net but a dedicated book would be better I think.

Maybe Ginter's "Air Force Legends" series produce a book on the KC-97. The "Air Force Legends" book on the C-124 is great so maybe there's hope for a volume on the K/C-97 series sometime.

Anyone know for sure? Thanks,

-Derek

Is there a book on the KC-97 out there? I've looked but haven't seen any. I just bought a back issue of "International Airpower Review" that has a feature on the KC-97 and there are some great shots on airlines.net but a dedicated book would be better I think.

Maybe Ginter's "Air Force Legends" series produce a book on the KC-97. The "Air Force Legends" book on the C-124 is great so maybe there's hope for a volume on the K/C-97 series sometime.

Anyone know for sure? Thanks,

-Derek

I do not think there is a dedicated C-97 book Derek. Too bad, a workhorse in its day.

Having a good KC-97 reference would be nice. Since we're on the topic, I have to contribute a quick photo of the KC-97 on display at Dyess. She sure looks nice these days.

Mark

IMG_3935.jpg

Oh, what the heck. Here are a couple more!

IMG_3929a.jpg

IMG_3928a.jpg

Thanks Cliff and Mark - nice photos by the way. I'm asking because I'm working on the 1/144 Minicraft KC-97. I've got the Cobra Co. "L" upgrade set which is quite nice. I'm planning on finishing her as a Texas ANG bird.

Here's a quick "in process" shot from a few days ago. I have the wings on as of today so she's coming along.

KC-97L_in_progress.jpg

-Derek

Edited by viking73

I did forget that I do have another KC-97 reference. I've got an original filight manual which is pretty neat and has good intereior details but is lacking in wheel wheel details from example.

KC_97_flight_manual1.jpg

KC_97_flight_manual4.jpg

KC_97_flight_manual3.jpg

And just a couple more in process pics with the wings on:

KC-97L_in_progress2.jpg

KC-97L_in_progress3.jpg

I had big gaps to fill at the wing roots and the fit of the engine nacelles wasn't the best. I did add some details to the main gear wells that you can kind of see. Once the wing root seams are cleaned up I will add the other fuselage radomes and the boom operator's station. She's coming along okay. I do think I have enough weight in the nose (fingers crossed!).

Cliff - if you have more shots of "283" please post them for me. Thanks!

-Derek

Here's some you might like to see. The second photo shows 283 with external fuel tanks instead of the jets. This was usually a feature of the G model. I suspect that it was retired from active USAF, ie SAC, as a G, then retrieved from the boneyard and upgraded to an L before service with the Texas and Missouri ANG.

KC-97L005.jpg

53-0283_KC-97L_D-M_09091968_1280.jpg

KC-97L003.jpg

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78
I did forget that I do have another KC-97 reference. I've got an original filight manual which is pretty neat and has good intereior details but is lacking in wheel wheel details from example.

Cliff - if you have more shots of "283" please post them for me. Thanks!

-Derek

A shot of 283 on her current gig as a resturaunt in Colorado Springs:

KC-97L53-0283COSAug083.jpg

Derek,

While not C-97, the B-50 wheel wells are similar. There are some so\hots on the B-50 portion of my B-29/B-50 stuff on Photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v20/jinx...per%20Fortress/

Nothing to do with reference material I'm afraid, but a little story from tropical Africa of 50 years ago. During project Mercury, the USAF based a C-124 and a KC-97 in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia. Because my father worked for the national airline I was a lucky teenager who could get onto the ramp. I was luck enough to be shown over the KC-97 which was parked on the civil side of the airfield. The two things I remember were the poor mechanic who was changing a set of spark plugs on one engine (all 56 plugs!), and the huge pile of pallets of cans of Coca Cola lashed down in the hold. Going aboard through those steps on the door was unusual then - air stairs had not then become common.

Happy days...

Neil

Are you looking for markings, a history of the development and variants or detail shots? Is it only the C/KC-97 series or does it include the B377 Statocruiser also?

Wings/Airpower had a three part series on the B-377/C/KC-97 from July to Sept. of 1999, by Pet Bowers. Very good with lots of information and some drawings/dimensions from the flight manuals/T.Os. The best source of info, but hard to find by now. Airline Publications published Stratocruiser & C-97, Pictorial & Production, 1978, a thin A-4 sized monograph with many B/W photos, by Ian Macintosh. More B-377, but a quarter devoted to the C/KC-97. Good for its time. JAAHS, Winter 69 had part one of a series on the B377, including histories of each airframe. I don't have part two.

Scale Aircraft Modeling, Aug. 97 had the KC-97 and Stratocruiser featured in the Aircraft in Detail section. Alan Hall wrote the section. Good thumb nail sketch with color profiles. Scale Aviation Modeler International, vol. 7, number 4, 2001, had a KC & C-97 build with Cobra Company's resin aftermarket set. It also had a Photo Album section on the KC-97L at Wright-Patt. Nice build article.

You can go here to find out about the EC-97G, operated by the 7405th SS. I believe that the article is in error as C-130B-IIs replaced C-130A-IIs, in about 1972. The EC-97Gs were replaced in about 75. The C-130B-IIs were replaced by three C-130Es with little external modifications.

http://www.spyflight.co.uk/ec97.htm

and here at Aero-web;

http://www.aero-web.org/specs/boeing/ec-97g.htm

The EC-97 served in SEA, initially as Project Brave Bull.

Best wishes,

Grant