EA-6B sets... ICaps and Early vereses Late...

Well I see that Kinetic has released their Prowler, so I guess it is time for me to build my couple of Monogram ones. I would like to do 1 as a Jammin' Jihad, and another as a Whidbey bird as yet to be decided.

I have vast stores of confusion about some of the newish-ly released update sets though.... (I have 1 of the Cutting Edge update sets in the stash already) Can someone explain to me the diffs between Aires Early verses Late cockpit sets, and the Wolfpack OIF set ?? In terms that I can, as a (*)civilian, understand OR that if I look at a photo of a specific Prowler I want to model, a way I can tell from the photo which version it is I need?

That would be awesome.... Bazillion thanks in advance.

~ Tracy

(*) Only big regret in my life is not getting to serve. But when I was prime recruit age women weren't allowed in any combat positions, and DAMMIT I wanted to be a gunner or pilot of Cobras (later Apaches of course) or nothing. Even the recruiters who tried to wooo me wouldn't promise me that someday I could. Sigh.... born just a nick too early.

Edited by Clumber

The Wolfpack Design update isn't a "OIF" update it's a ICAP II/III update. I don't know all of the differences between the II/III but from what I read on other forums the external differences were subtle, it was the cockpit that was different. Most of the changes for the ICAP II/III were electronic. I would recommend the Wolfpak Design ICAP II/III update because it has the proper size tail canoe and the right antennas. The Cutting Edge set although nice isn't up to date.

I'm not an expert on the Prowler but it's one of my favorite aircraft, I know others know more.

Well I see that Kinetic has released their Prowler, so I guess it is time for me to build my couple of Monogram ones. I would like to do 1 as a Jammin' Jihad, and another as a Whidbey bird as yet to be decided.

I have vast stores of confusion about some of the newish-ly released update sets though.... (I have 1 of the Cutting Edge update sets in the stash already) Can someone explain to me the diffs between Aires Early verses Late cockpit sets, and the Wolfpack OIF set ?? In terms that I can, as a (*)civilian, understand OR that if I look at a photo of a specific Prowler I want to model, a way I can tell from the photo which version it is I need?

That would be awesome.... Bazillion thanks in advance.

~ Tracy

Drop me a line, and I can give you the specifics. Mostly depends on the squadron--the Jammin' Jihad birds were all ICAP II. From there we can talk cockpit stuff.

peter

Drop me a line, and I can give you the specifics. Mostly depends on the squadron--the Jammin' Jihad birds were all ICAP II. From there we can talk cockpit stuff.

peter

ICAP II early or late cockpit?? Going by the two Aires releases.

-Cliff

ICAP II early or late cockpit?? Going by the two Aires releases.

-Cliff

It'll be the 'late' cockpit. From what I can tell, there's a hole in the front right cockpit that needs a control panel installed. The gyro and compass (two big screens in front of the pilot are also digital, vice the old steam gauges). That should apply to both the squadrons covered on the afterburner sheet.

I don't actually own the aires set, but from looking at the reviews here, they look pretty sharp

hth

-Peter

This is a topic Im glad I found. I have the Revellogram repop and I also have the Aires ICAP-II Late cockpit. I want to do one of the Jammin Jihad birds and glad to hear that I have the correct cockpit for it. Ive also looked at hte WPD update, and now that Ive heard its the correct upgrade set, I'll probably get that one as well.

Here are pictures of cockpit that I took after I got it. I cant tell you if its accurate or not, as I havent compared them to pic's of the real thing, but the detail is very crisp and well done IMO.

Front Instrument Panel

DSC00347.jpg

Rear Instrument Panel

DSC00345.jpg

Overall Cockpit Tub

DSC00349.jpg

Front Cockpit area

DSC00350.jpg

Rear Cockpit area

DSC00351.jpg

Ejection Seat

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

Edited by Adam Baker

Adam,

For an ICAP II you whould be good (as those sheets are I believe). From about 2000 on, the mechanical ADI (aka "gyro")/HSI aka "compass") were replaced with 2 LCD screens to make an EADI/EHSI ("E" for Electronic). This accompanied new INS's, GPS and the addition of VOR/ILS to support the expeditionary squadrons.

The big hole on the right side will be filled for a deployed EA-6B. If you look around you should be able to find a picture. It's swapped between squadrons.

BTW, there are very minimal changes between ICAP II and ICAP III cockpits...almost all of the changes are internal except for some of the antennas.

Spongebob

Adam,

For an ICAP II you whould be good (as those sheets are I believe). From about 2000 on, the mechanical ADI (aka "gyro")/HSI aka "compass") were replaced with 2 LCD screens to make an EADI/EHSI ("E" for Electronic). This accompanied new INS's, GPS and the addition of VOR/ILS to support the expeditionary squadrons.

The big hole on the right side will be filled for a deployed EA-6B. If you look around you should be able to find a picture. It's swapped between squadrons.

BTW, there are very minimal changes between ICAP II and ICAP III cockpits...almost all of the changes are internal except for some of the antennas.

Spongebob

Adam,

Spongebob is right--fill that hole and you're good for the AB sheets. back cockpit is good too.

Now for the ICAP III birds, the cockpit is pretty different. There's a big 8x10 display in each cockpit. No radar boot in the front right seat either.

I don't have any ICAP III cockpit photos, so I can't help you there--going off memory.

Peter

Here's the only ICAP III cockpit image I can find so far

EF-111A-Cockpit.jpg

For the ICAP II Late, do I just need to put a piece of styrene or something over hte panel so that its just blank? Seems odd that Aires would screw something like that up, but oh well, seems like it would be a fairly easy fix.

Here's the only ICAP III cockpit image I can find so far

EF-111A-Cockpit.jpg

For the ICAP II Late, do I just need to put a piece of styrene or something over hte panel so that its just blank? Seems odd that Aires would screw something like that up, but oh well, seems like it would be a fairly easy fix.

That is definitely NOT a Prowler cockpit :thumbsup: I'll see what I can find...

Aires didn't really screw anything up--most stateside birds don't have that piece of kit installed--deployed squadrons have 'em.

-peter

Ah, sorry. That pic was just listed as an ICAP III Prowler, sorry for the wrong info. Definitely dont want to spread misinfo.

Thanks for hte info on the Aires pit. If its just as simple as cutting a small piece of styrene so that its a blanked off panel, then that should be easy enough to correct.

You would be correct. Looked at the photo info and thats part of the file name, EF-111 cockpit. Guess I just looked at it wrong, thinking it was a Prowler pit.

That picture looks like an EF-111 cockpit.

Chuck

I see that the Kinetic Prowler is a ICAP III configuration.

I hope to make make a Jammin Jihad bird with the Aires ICAP 2 ( late) cockpit, if it fits into the Kinetic kit.

Will there be any problems making the ICAP III kinetic kit into a Jihad bird?