Question about the AH-64D...

I guess they would be on the Block III airframes, There are protrusions on the lower aft end of the tail boom (forward and lower down of the original chaff/flare launcher). I'm not sure if they're additional chaff/flare launchers, additional plume detectors or what they are. I seem to see them on the airframes with the "sugar scoop" exaust deflectors. If anybody could give me an answer and/or detail pix it would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Edited by MattP
I guess they would be on the Block III airframes, There are protrusions on the lower aft end of the tail boom (forward and lower down of the original chaff/flare launcher). I'm not sure if they're additional chaff/flare launchers, additional plume detectors or what they are. I seem to see them on the airframes with the "sugar scoop" exaust deflectors. If anybody could give me an answer and/or detail pix it would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Bueller.... Bueller.... Bueller.... Anybody... Bueller.... :worship:

The things you are refering to are more than likely mods done for the CMWS upgrade. Basicly without going into info not open to public is these things you see help protect the aircraft from surface to air attacks. Different Longbow users place these mods in different locations and sizes all over the aircraft. Israel for one.

Hope this helps,

Brock

Thanks guys, I didn't know/want to violate opsec. (Please don't think I'm making light of the safety of our troops) I assumed they were defensive in nature but didn't want to put them on a kit when I had no idea what they were. I appreciate the info!!!

Thanks again!!!

Matt :worship:

For whatever it's worth, here is a relatively good shot of a later version Apache. I have no idea how you can differentiate one block from another but it shows the new IR suppressing exhausts and some other items on the tail boom. Nothing very exotic, just a flare dispenser and a laser detector. As noted above, Apaches are also being equipped with Common Missile Warning System (CMWS). A google search will provide further info on that item if you are interested.

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e1/-images/2009...7-01-070756.jpg

I find it surprising that with all the means of taking and posting pictures these days, there are still very few good, detailed pictures of current US Army helos in action.

Regards,

John

For whatever it's worth, here is a relatively good shot of a later version Apache. I have no idea how you can differentiate one block from another but it shows the new IR suppressing exhausts and some other items on the tail boom. Nothing very exotic, just a flare dispenser and a laser detector. As noted above, Apaches are also being equipped with Common Missile Warning System (CMWS). A google search will provide further info on that item if you are interested.

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e1/-images/2009...7-01-070756.jpg

I find it surprising that with all the means of taking and posting pictures these days, there are still very few good, detailed pictures of current US Army helos in action.

Regards,

John

Thanks John for the pic, The Item I was asking about you can't see very well. I has a bit of red showing. Like Cobrahistorian said they look like more flare buckets.

Thanks again for the pic!!!

Matt