Oilpaint <Figures> question

hi there,

my question I have is, how long will it take once the oilpaint I used (Van Gogh) is dry?

I used this to color the hands/faces of four 1/35 US Union infantry soldiers.

The woman from the shop where I got them from told me it would take months!

Is there a technique to speed up the process?

(As for the uniform I use Humbrol paints).

kind regards

Duncan

the netherlands

i oil paint as well as model .

in terms she has given a correct answer , however it isn't as simple as she has put it as there are so many variables

oilp paints as opposed to model paints dry by oxidisation

drying is helped by warmer drier conditions ( but not as much as model paints )

another factor is what diluting medium you use and how much ( the woman in the shop would not be fammiliar with modelling uses )

as we thin with white spirit and turps it does give faster drying , but still slower than model paints

but this is what makes it good for modelling ( particularly figures ) it is fantastic for blending highlighting detail etc

far better than any model paints

but even having said all this about slow drying for the thickness you will be applying it to models a week tops should see it dried enough to handle and indeed varnish over by spraying

on oil paintings it is reccomended to wait six months to varnish a picture

this is because ( if the paint is thick ) oxidisation will have dried it sufficiently to toutch but oxidisation will not have cured fully through

and this leads to paintings cracking or difficulties removing the varnish for later restorations

however even after saying that i varnished a commision i painted 2 days after completion a couple of weeks ago

as it was painted very thinly using mostly white spirit as a medium and it was in hot and dry weather so i was reasonably confident it had cured

but in a nutshell months only realy applies if using for painting portraits just be aware it does take longer but for our uses how we use it a week should be more than enough waiting

and usualy oils are used as the last coats anyway

if deciding to apply a coat of prottective varnish wait a week or prefrably two !!

Tornado, thank you !

with such great answer a new question rises me:

- can one use Future // enamel over Oil paint?

All with suffenciency ofcourse. Say I would like to add some humbrol glossy white for the eyes (if the figure gets larger than 54 mm) or some strokes for hair.

I presume no chemical explosions will occur, I would like to know.

much obliged

Duncan

For most modelling purposes, a week should be a safe bet. I did woodgrain on a part a few days ago, however, then placed it in my oven on 'dehydrate' at 100'F, and it was dry to the touch in about six hours, so it can really vary, as mentioned.

A tip: whenever I use oils, I like to apply some to a scrap surface. That way I can test my scrap to see if the paint is dry yet, without worrying about damaging the 'real' part.

Oh, and Future and enamels are both fine over cured oil paint.

Edited by MoFo

oven drying is best avoided , air drying is best as oils dry by oxidisation rather than solvent evaporation

therefore air circulation is a better method the most i subject it to is overhead of a household radiator with gently heated and circulating air

there is no less or more danger with oils than enamels or acrylics just take care with dilutants

never tried future over it , but i would be more inclined to try the readily available oil painting picture varnishes

my local art shop stocks matt , silk and gloss

also i use humbrol enamels and also acrylics on the same figures ( up to now with no adverse effects )

i may have posted my florian geyer and armour diorama in this section a search should bring it up !!

the main thing to remember is to use humbrol and oils after acrylics as acrylics do not take well painted over oils and enamels

Edited by tornado64
  • 2 weeks later...

I use oil mediums for thinning oil paints on my figures. Grumbacher (don't know if that is available in Europe) has a Pale Drying Oil targeted for the hobbyist that accelerates drying time. Oil Painting Medium I imparts a matte finish to oil paints. Medium III also accelerate drying time but imparts a high gloss finish.

:worship:

• 2 weeks later...