A Break from a break

Ok, This is a build I started a while back and finally decided to put the finishing touches on it. It's the re-released Battlestar Galactica Viper modified to a fictional version of a MK-I (upgrade) I'll post more details when I get the chance. It's got some weathering to go and finish painting and touches here and there but I think it's coming along. It's fun little build break from all the shuttle stuff.

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

Comments, critiques, suggestions.

Bill

I like the tail markings, they are simple and in keeping with spirit of the background mythology. I would add the typical color bars on the engines and wings and maybe a thin outline on the toop edge of the tail.

Thanks everyone. This probably isn't a contest winner or anything as I've cut a few corners here and there but it sure is a fun build. I like being able to come up with pretty much anything I choose to add and it can't be wrong really (although some BSG and Star Wars fans might disagree with that statement)

Yea, the tie fighter was a lone patrol that got left behind on a deep space mission and was easy pickings for the Viper. Having not seen an Imperial ship before, he just went to investigate and offer assistance, but of course he was fired upon first so had to take actions. Splash one tie fighter.

The Gold Raider was a shoot down (down in space? hmmm?) of a Cylon wing commander. And the Basestar was just a lucky shot in just the right place to destroy the whole thing.

Model stuff: The ejection seat was one of the few surviving pieces of a 1/32 scale F-4 Phantom I'd lost in the flood. If I remember correctly it was a Verlindin seat. The exhaust nozzles and intake fans (not shown) are from an Academy Hornet that also didn't survive the flood. It actually survived the flood but was stolen off the top of our kitchen cabinets. Still don't know who'd want to steal a model but it was there so why not I guess.

Other mods are of course the decals. The tail markings are a variation on a college team with a Trojan mascot (sorry can't recall which college that uses it, not USC though) I've opened up the canopy and have a canopy mounted HUD system. The main screen on the instrument panel is one of those irredecent confetti pieces from Hobby Lobby. I'm also working on different lazer blasters as the kit ones don't really do it for me. As for paint, I don't think I'm going to add much color, it's going to have a really weather spot painted look (like an F-14 on carrier operations) that I'll probably do with oils. I'll post more pics when I get more done.

Thanks,

Bill

• 1 month later...
Bill

How is this coming along... :)

Actually I had a little bit of time to work on this over the holiday. I've done a little detail painting and started weathering some. I'll try to get some pics up soon. I have the gear doors open and may build some landing gear for it. If not, I'll just close the doors back up.

Thanks for asking,

Bill

Actually I had a little bit of time to work on this over the holiday. I've done a little detail painting and started weathering some. I'll try to get some pics up soon. I have the gear doors open and may build some landing gear for it. If not, I'll just close the doors back up.

Thanks for asking,

Bill

Bill

thank you for the updates...

Looking forward to the pics of it being weatehred etc ......I am sure

it looks great..

HAPPY HOLIDAYS :bandhead2::salute:

and BEST WISHES FOR 2011. :taunt::nanner:

HOLMES

Here are some of the latest pics of my slow progress. I've started weathering with oils and doing a little touch up painting here and there. I decided to add a little damage to the port engine housing. Reason being a. I wanted to do some drastic staining somewhere and b. I only have two closed exhaust nozzles and two open nozzles, this way it will look like that engine had to be shut down due to damage before landing. I'll probably throw on some fod covers over that one intake to hide the lack of fan details.

viper1view.jpg

viper2view.jpg

It still needs some more washing and highlights (rinse and repeat) but it's getting there. Still comtemplating scratching some landing gear. I may use the Moebius gear as a pattern and base it off of them. Comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

Bill

Edited by niart17
  • 1 year later...

After viewing The Madhatter's really awesome custom Viper, it inspired me to break out my original series custom viper and try to finish this one up. For the most part it's finished. I just have a few minor details and perhaps a little bit more weathering on the starboard side. The port engine is the one with some battle damage so that side should be weathered heavier, but I think they should be a little closer. Not sure yet. Also I have a few touch-ups and perhaps add a few details to the landing gear. The main gear is completely scratch built with a few tubes and some skids. The front gear is a revell F-18 strut with some skids and a few added bits. Nothing fancy. The FOD cover on the port engine is just temporary to see what shape I need to make and what size I want to make the squadron emblem to be added to it.

profilel.jpg

quaterview.jpg

front-1.jpg

quarterright.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'd love to see some more of these customized vipers. They are such awesome looking space craft and lend themselves really well to a wide variety of schemes.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Maybe someone start a Group build with the theme being custom Viper jobs. "Any colour you like so long as it's not white" :woot.gif:

Just a thought..

Anyway, back on topic, I think some more weathering certainly wouldn't look out of place

I really like the burner cans - much better looking than the original. Same goes with the front office chair - nice touch

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with this

MH