Junk Cars

Hey all,

Just looking for some tips on how to beat up model cars to make them look like they've been in a junkyard or farmer's field. Diorama forthcoming :whistle:

My buddies Scale Auto Mag collection didn't yield much, and believe it or not, there's not much on the web

Any help would be appreciated :taunt:

Cheers, Ian

Hello Ian,

Have a look at the MIG productions forums here. They ran a group build for rusty vehicles and there are loads of tips & techniques in the various threads.

In the mean time here are three images to give you some inspiration from the recent UK IPMS Nationals.

tn_Telford10038.jpg

tn_Telford10039.jpg

tn_Telford10040.jpg

Good luck with your project. It would be great to see some photos along the way if you get the chance. :taunt:

:touche:

• 1 month later...

You might want to check out some back issues of Fine Scale Modeller, I don't remember the specific issue. I know there was at least one very good article on how to recreate rusty weathered junk cars in there a few years back. If I recall the technique they used for recreating heavy rust involved superglue and baking soda done in multiple layers to build up the surface like heavily oxidized metal. It's worth a look, IIRC the effect was very convincing and looked very realistic.

Edited by Expat Tomcat