Getting back into it

Hello everyone! I am new in the forum but have come across many of the reviews and such while looking things up about modeling. I built models as a kid/early teenager. I stopped building them at age 15 and am now 30. I never put alot of time and effort into building them when I was young and I want to change all of that and get back into it being thorough, patient, and proud of my models. I am not sure why I got the itch to get back into it, have always looked stuff up and been interested even though I havent actively built one for so long. Being that I am an avionics tech on the F-16 in the USAF might be part of it, or my wife who has been largely supportive and lighting the fire. Also, just had a son 2 months ago and hope that this is something we can do together as he grows up. I wanna thank in advance all of those people who put great tips and reviews and all on here, I credit that to my reinterest in the hobby. What I was wondering was what a good aircraft would be to start back into it? Something where I can practice alot of the techniques to making my model highly detailed and realistic. I want to, at some point, buy the Tamiya 1/32 F-16 kit and dont want to "practice" modeling technique on such an expensive model. At the end of my Air Force career, i would love to have a Tam 1/32 F-16 built for each fighter squadron I was ever assigned to. I know it sounds like F-16 is all I want to build but I want to build many types and would love for some help on which aircraft, brand, and scale would be good to start getting back into the swing of things. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am excited and feel like a kid in a candy store...LOL. Thankd in advance for any advice that can be given.

Check out the buy and sell forum from time to time. I have about 200 kits in my stash and about 90% of them were purchased there over the past 4 years, at great prices. Again most of the guys are great, check the bad traders section for any possible lemons, but again, it's a great place to build up a stash and get things cheaply

Welcome back to the hobby Cleric and welcome to ARC,

I got back into the hobby myself about 3 years ago starting with cars and tanks. Only in the last year have I been getting into aircraft and like you am a newbie to ARC.

I would suggest looking at Revell kits to start off and practice on. The 1/48 sclae kits are quite inexpensive and the newer offerings are nicely detailed, IMHO.

The buy and sell forum is also a great place to find stuff. I have gotten 8 of my 9 Tomcat kits there at great savings, even after shipping to the Great White North, LOL.

Just remember, have fun with it and don't sweat the small stuff.

Denis

These are some easy to assemble kits.

These are all 1/48

Revell F-15E; very affordable, cheap on the for sale forums, or at local craft store's with discount coupons (ie; Micheal's 50% = $15.00)

Hasegawa F-104 ($20-$25)

Hasegawa A-4 ($20-$25)

Revell F-84

Tamiya F-84

Tamiya Fw-190's (any)

Just a few.

Curt

Welcome back to the hobby and to ARC. I too just got back into the hobby after a LONG hiatus. My wife was (and is) a big supporter of my hobby. The Revell kits are great starter kits. Easy and cheap. There's plenty of people here to help you out with just about anything. Have fun!