My first WIP. Update 7/26/2013. PROJECT FINISHED!!!

...then I concentrated on detailing the front end of the spines, that will conform the area behind the ejction seat on the cockpit. As with other scratchbiuld details of the pit I made them acording to details on the Neomega pit

SAM_2218.jpg

SAM_2211.jpg

I also added the modified periscopes for the SK model. They still look a bit larger, so I will rework them lately.

SAM_2216.jpg

SAM_2217.jpg

With the spines detailed, I positioned the cockpit on the fuselage of the JA model and added the spine

SAM_2228.jpg

SAM_2229.jpg

SAM_2230.jpg

And now a little announcement, I´ve spoken with Max Nykvist, the owner of MaestroModels. I will pass the masters that I´ve created for this project so he could cast them in resing to be sold. So hopefully in a near future he could sell the RAT vane, SK spine, front landing gear bay, replacement belly cannon…In adition I worked at his request a master to replace the main wheel wells.

SAM_2200.jpg

SAM_2203.jpg

I hope this might be interesting.

Opinions are welcome, please.

Greetings

Juan

:woot.gif:

Hi David, many thanks for your praise word. Viggen is one of my fovourite jets so I´m trying to do this project as best as possible.

I still have a lot of work to do on them, but now I´m feeling that I´m progressing on it.

Greetings.

Juan

Sacred grass muncher!

That´s some excellent PE work! and scratching the rear of the cockpit looks nice as well :D

Awesome progress! Wish I could tell the same....

Hi Janne! :thumbsup: many thanks for your words.

How are you doing with your Viggen? Want to see your progress!

Greetings.

Juan

Hi Janne! :thumbsup: many thanks for your words.

How are you doing with your Viggen? Want to see your progress!

Greetings.

Juan

LOL

Doing badly....

I´ll get around to it though...might be some projects inbetween tho.

See if I can´t get around to convert those bomb launchers soon tho

Hi everybody. Im here one more week, with a new update. Im traying to work simultaneously on the four aircrafts, so Ive been installing the nose cones and front wheel wells on the SK and on the SF. Here is the SK with the parts in place and the joint filled and sanded smooth, still pending of some rescribing

SAM_2254.jpg

SAM_2261.jpg

And this is the SF with its the lateral camera fairing also in place.

SAM_2264.jpg

SAM_2265.jpg

After some retouching to fix the missing details on the prepainted PE, Ive also installed the cockpits on the SK37

SAM_2270.jpg

SAM_2269.jpg

SAM_2292.jpg

This about the SK and the SF versions… AJ assembly is somewhat different because, since the beginning of the project I had in mind to create little diorama with this aircraft and even some ground vehicle, hence the PE ladder. In adition Ive scratched this piece that pretends to be a seamless duct.

SAM_2276.jpg

I still have to sand the interior smooth (I lost count of the times I've done so far). The piece itself is made from a compressor face from an old Airfix Harrier with lateral ducts built from styrene, CA glue and filler, then sand, more filler, more sand…

And this is the fuselage of the AJ itself. If you look closely you will find that Ive open the hatch on the right side for an electronic control panel

SAM_2275.jpg

And thats all for now. Ill try to post some more pics on the following days.

I would really like to hear your opinions.

Greetings.

Edited by JFVicente

Looking really nice there, the engine front and ducts look good too. Only thing is it won´t show, the front is so deep inside the ducts and you can´t really poke your head in far enough in a 1/72nd scale air intake to see much of it (it´s cool though :D )

I really like you opening up panels in the side..gonna look awesome!

Can´t wait until the next updatey! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

First of all, thanks to Aigore for your comments. I already know that the engine front will not be very visible troght air intakes, but I had to try it anyway…As you said we are modellers…

Now, for the building…

I painted the four RAT vanes, with the intention of installing them on its place inside the fuselage…

SAM_2426.jpg

...and started to add the missing pipes. Those tubes are not present on the resin part due to the limitations of the moulding/casting process when it’s done â€at homeâ€. Anyway those pipes are easily installed thanks to those little holes at the left of the “clocksâ€

SAM_2428.jpg

SAM_2431.jpg

The pair of rightmost tubes are connected to the upper cylinders. I’ve just glued them, being the conection between these parties rather most complex on the real thing, but once the piece installed into the fuselage that will not be visible anyway.

With regard to the tube on the left, it’s curved otward, not connected to any part, leaving an open end, that finish on a red opening with slightly bigger diameter than the pipe itself. I’ve reproduced it on this way

SAM_2714.jpg

SAM_2702.jpg

The metallic end is piece of syringe needle of about 1’5 mm long.

SAM_2704.jpg

SAM_2711.jpg

SAM_2724.jpg

SAM_2709.jpg

Finally, I painted those new pipes on metallic shades

SAM_2724.jpg

Looking at the pictures, I'm not completely happy with the result of painting, but once installed the part into the fuselage the result is much better. I've not pictures of that at this moment, but will try to post some pics ASAP.

This is all for now. Please, please I would really like to hear you opinions.

Greetings

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Considering that the part is absolutely tiny and will be further obscured in side the air frame and only visible through a small hatch, it´s fantastic!

You´re really going the extra mile with this, Juan! :thumbsup:

Stunning work mate!

Absolutely breathtaking work! :woo:

<...>

<...>

Extra Scandinavian mile! ;) Rather appropriate, given the subject at hand and the work put into this. :worship:

Four at once....WOW!!. Your bravery and diligence is being rewarded though, very fine work. I too am a Viggen fan, one since it's creation back in the last century.

Edited by Angels49

Considering that the part is absolutely tiny and will be further obscured in side the air frame and only visible through a small hatch, it´s fantastic!

Stunning work mate!

Absolutely breathtaking work! :woo:

Extra Scandinavian mile! ;) Rather appropriate, given the subject at hand and the work put into this. :worship:

Four at once....WOW!!. Your bravery and diligence is being rewarded though, very fine work. I too am a Viggen fan, one since it's creation back in the last century.

Many thanks Janne, Moritz and Clif for your praise words and encouragement. Lately I had the impression that my thread is not very interested for the people in this forum, giving the low numbers of comments in response to my postings... Always is nice to know that somebody is interested in your work... Many thanks again.

Cheers.

Juan

<...> Lately I had the impression that my thread is not very interested for the people in this forum, giving the low numbers of comments in response to my postings... <...>

I'm sure it's just people running out of superlatives for your work, not lack of interest. :thumbsup:

What Moritz zed :D

A better gauge of the popularity is to check the number of views the thread gets...sometimes ppl are just too stunned to comment! :thumbsup:

Edited by Aigore

Hi again! Thanks Moritz and Janne for your support!!

Here once again to show more progress in my build.

Just some pics to show how the Ram Air Turbine vane looks once installed inside the fuselage. The first on the AJ-37, still unasembled fuselage…

SAM_2736.jpg

…on the SF-37 kit…

SAM_2787.jpg

…on the JA-37 variant…

SAM_2786.jpg

…and this on the SK-37.

SAM_2746.jpg

In the latter model I installed the rear spine, casted from resin as I´ve said previosuly.

SAM_2738.jpg

SAM_2743.jpg

Here with the wings and tail dryfitted on place, just for fun.

SAM_2745.jpg

It begins to look like a Viggen…

It´s all for now. I will post some more pics at the end of the week.

Opinions and comments are welcome, please.

Cheers.

Juan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again! Many thanks McCoy and Janne for your support.

And now, go for a new update.

This week I focused my efforts on solving a problem in the rear of the fuselage. The detail set of Dr Pepper´s Resin is excelent, in particular the exhaust/trust reverser area, but has a problem with the angle of the triangular fairings on the side of the fuselage. These are parallel to the ground, whereas they should point slightly downwards. In this pic you can see the wrong shape...

SAM_2906.jpg

...and in the following the correct.

SAM_2907.jpg

To solve this problem some cutting, scratchbuilding and sanding is required, but with a bit of care it can be easily done. First af all the area where the inner aileron matches with the fuselage (shaded in the pic) should be removed...

SAM_2911.jpg

…as well as the detail on the rear face of referred fairings. This wolud be latter recovered with the help of the Eduard or Maestro Models PE set.

SAM_2912.jpg

Then a thin strip of evergreen is glued following the shape of the face that points towards the ground.

SAM_2913.jpg

Between this strip and the rounded edge of the fuselage I added some CA glue to form a “bed†on wich a piece of thin stirene sheet is glued, cutted to shape the area.

SAM_2914.jpg

Some filler and sanding is required in the area where the stirene sheet an the resin meets.

With this done the new shape is achieved. Then I glued in place the little PE details that conform the appearance of the rear face of the fairing...

SAM_2916.jpg

On the sides of the PE I glued two thin strips of Evergreen to form the edges of the part.

SAM_2921.jpg

SAM_2922.jpg

These would be latter sanded down to achieve a thiny edge.

Then I added two tiny bulbs from stirene rod on the lower corner of the PE (on red on the pic)

SAM_2923.jpg

That's all for now. I will continue with this post on few hours, showing how I rebuilt the side of the fairings...

Opinions, please.

Juan

Continuing with the proccess. I will show how I rebuilt the area where the aileron matches with the fuselage. I glued a piece of plastic cutted to shape the wing where the removed detail was

SAM_2929.jpg

Then I added thin strips of Evergreen to conform the edge (on red on the picture)…

SAM_2930.jpg

SAM_2931.jpg

…sanded down those edges and drilled little holes of different diameter to better resemble the part.

SAM_2932.jpg

And the transformation is done! I’ve done this on tree of the aircrafts, still pending the work in the AJ37…

Well, the step by step procces that I’ve show is from the SF37, and in this pic you can see the result on the SK37

SAM_2942.jpg

On this aircraft I rescribed all the lost panel lines and added some missing details like the little styrene strip that can be seen on the previous pic. Also while working on this rear area I removed the hemisphere that can be seen in this pic and replaced it for a triangular shape present on current aircrafts.

SAM_2830.jpg

Finally I put some work on the little spine between the two cockpit that contains the rear of the front pit and the frontal instrument panel of the rear cockpit (sorry for the pun) I assembled the IP to the plastic spine, built the binoculars of the periscope and reworked the exterior part of those reducing them in size.

SAM_2796.jpg

SAM_2794.jpg

Finally I covered the PE structure of the instrument panel with Tamiya Tape and applied a thin layer of MrSurfacer to better represent the texture of the cover.

SAM_2949.jpg

SAM_2947.jpg

And that is all for this week. I would really appreciate your opinions.

Greetings.

Juan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. I’m here with a new update. These last days I’ve concentrated my attention on the AJ37 kit. As I previously shown, I open an electronic control panel on the right side of the fuselage, so now I will show how I built the mentioned panel. First of all I built the interior frame and the wall of it with styrene strips and sheet.

SAM_2280.jpg

I take care in recreating the correct shape of the interior structure, as it present two different surfaces. Also care was taken in creating the part with the correct depth so as not to interfere with intake duct that will be added later.

Then I added some details from PE. This PE bits came from an old set of Reheat Accessories, now discontinued.

SAM_2291.jpg

In the lower portion of the panel I added some more PE. The golden ones come from the mentioned set from Reheat, while the silver are from spares.

SAM_2747.jpg

I drilled some micro holes in the blank space between the PE, as you can see in the previous pic. In the next pictures you can see eighteen holes drilled.

SAM_2938.jpg

Finally I glued a length of stretched sprue on each of the holes. I pinpointed them with a black pen for the pic.

SAM_3076.jpg

I had previously built the swing door from aluminum foil curved to shape and added some stirene sheet on the inner face of it.

SAM_2289.jpg

SAM_2291.jpg

And that is all for now. I would like to hear your comments and suggestions. Many thanks.

Greetings.

Juan

Gorgeous work! That was some fixing of the exhaust, impressive! :jaw-dropping:

Hi Janne. Many thanks for your words. They are very encouraging.

Greetings.

Juan.

P.S. I've tried to send you a personal message unsuccessfully. Your account must be full...