My first WIP. Update 7/26/2013. PROJECT FINISHED!!!

Hi Janne. Many thanks for your words. They are very encouraging.

Greetings.

Juan.

P.S. I've tried to send you a personal message unsuccessfully. Your account must be full...

There, I cleaned out some ole messages :D

Juan

Your build is MIND BLOWING and OUTTA this WORLD.

HOLMES :worship::worship:

Hi Holmes, many thanks for your words. i was needding some kind of support as I'm suffering some kind of tiredness with this building. Altought all is going well with it, it takes too long to solve such amount of problems.

Many thanks again.

Juan

Hi Holmes, many thanks for your words. i was needding some kind of support as I'm suffering some kind of tiredness with this building. Altought all is going well with it, it takes too long to solve such amount of problems.

Many thanks again.

Juan

Juan

Just relax and take your time... When the tiredness goes , your enthusiam will bounce back.. Jusr re-read your thread thru and you are ON A ROLL...

Keep up the good work... :thumbsup:

I agree with HOlmes :D

Take a step back and rediscover the joy of building instead of concentrating on finishing. I know that when the AMS sets in it can be quite exhausting to get anything done because there is no end to things to correct or improve. Just take one thing at a time and rejoyce in the fact that for everything you get done there is one less thing to do :D

And when the going gets to serious just take a break and build something really simple OOB just to see that you can finish something once in a while :D

Cheers and keep you chin up!

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Im here again with a new update. First of all many thanks to Holmes, Janne, Sebastijan, datahiker y Ensafrirpo for your support and interest. I want to clarify that Im no way a pusillanimous not Im looking for people to be all the time pending of my mood. In fact, I,ve had a couple of times when I've been tempted to abandon the project and start with a new kit. A problem has arisen with the air intakes of the AJ version that involved more work than expected and made me lose patience at times. I will show it latter.

I have even considered the possibility of leave temporarily the project aside and build something quick and easy, as sugested for some of you, but I know myself and I would leave them aside indefinitely if I had done this way…

Well, now for the building.

Next step was to move forward in the building of the AJ version, the most delayed of all. So I painted the compressor face in aluminium and the intake duct in matt aluminium mixed with white from Gunza Sangyo…

SAM_3073.jpg

…and installed it on place.

SAM_3086.jpg

SAM_3087.jpg

Once this was done, allowed me to install the cockpit tube and the front landing gear bay on place, close the fuselage, install the nose cone and the exhaust area. No pics of this, but the process is the same as with the rest of the kits.

Next was to install the air intakes that have been set aside to this point because my intention was to achieve an intake duct as clean as posible. And here arose the problem that caused me a lot of headaches. The set of resin air intakes from Dr. Peppers that I had reserved for this kit were quite distorted by its exterior face, more resembling the intakes of a Flogger that those of the Viggen. I tried to correct them with hot water but with no succes, so I resorted to surgery. I cut the intakes longitudinally and discarded the exterior wall, that was replaced by the plastic part from the Heller kit. The fit was good but I had to fill in some imperfections in the interior of the intake as well as on the joint of the resin to plastic parts. It took me several sessions of filling and sanding ... After a good result was achieved I primed the interior of the intakes with MrSurfacer and painted it with the same mixture of Alclad aluminium and white that I used on the rest of the duct.

Unfortunately, when I assembled them in place I discovered that if I placed the part leveled with the rest of the fuselage I had a large gap between the interior wall of the intake and the rest of the structure, a problem hardly solvable. The reason being that when I cutted the resin intake longitudinally some width was lost and I didnt recover it. My fault, no doubt, but this was what caused my discouragement. So I disassemble the resin from the plastic of the intake again, introduce a thin styrene strip between them and reassemble them again, taking care of achieving the correct width.

SAM_3119.jpg

again, back to apply filler, then sanding, more filler and more sanding..

SAM_3121.jpg

SAM_3120.jpg

… but finally I got an acceptable result. This process, repeated twice, took me two weeks to get this result. Here you can see the intakes finished, primed and painted, ready to be installed on the fuselage

SAM_3124.jpg

And here you can the intake duct that I achieved finally, not entirely seamsless, but quite acceptable in my opinion. In the background you can see the compressor face, but I did'nt managed to photograph it properly.(Sorry for the dust in the pic)

SAM_3127.jpg

And at least here the AJ fuselage with all its parts on place, blended, rescribed and transformation in the rear end of the resin done as on the other kits.

SAM_3133.jpg

That's all for now. Thank you all for your understanding and support. I'll have a new update for the next week, as I'm feeling impeled again with this building, once the problems has been solved.

Cheers.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Gorgeous work Juan :D

SOmetimes you just have to take a step back to have another take on a certain issue and then you see the path forth :D

I had a similar hump when I was building my two JAs...I probably put something like 120+ hours into those and at a point it seemed like all I was doing was sanding and filling without anything to show for it!

You´ve made spectacular progress, mate! Not to mention that it looks smashing! :worship:

Gorgeous work Juan :D

SOmetimes you just have to take a step back to have another take on a certain issue and then you see the path forth :D

I had a similar hump when I was building my two JAs...I probably put something like 120+ hours into those and at a point it seemed like all I was doing was sanding and filling without anything to show for it!

You´ve made spectacular progress, mate! Not to mention that it looks smashing! :worship:

Hi friend! One more time, many thanks for your words. The fact is that now that I've solved this problem I see this building much more straightforward, so it have encouraged me to open a new panel in the nose cone, that can be seen usually open on parked aircrafts. But I would need some reference pics of the interior. The panel in question is that you can see this photo

http://arcair.com/AWA1/101-200/walk200_viggen/part2/images_Niklas_Knutzen/ruf.jpg

Do you have any detailed pic of this area?

if I can't get a detailed pic I can let it just unscrewed, but with the door folded, like this

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-JA37C-Viggen/0769895/L/&sid=d552a07a1f939d6cc0981b34d170341c

Could you help?

Thanks in advance.

Juan

Great work Juan and im impressed with your patience!

The photo you sent a link to is a JA37 and the compartment is where the RUF recording instrument is located that records the flight so the mission can be reviewed by the pilot and division. The contents behind this panel differs from the JA to all the other variants.

Is it possible to buy some resin from you like the SF-37 photo sight bulge and the Sk37?

Im impressed and love to follow your progress with theese!

It's incredible to see what you do in 1:72 with these birds. Just how many hours have you put down on 'em so far?

Hi McCoy! Many thanks for your words.

About the hours I´ve invested on this project I can only say that I,ve lost count...All started the with only one kit on January 2010, but then I add more kits to the project up to four, the major versions of the Viggen. As an estimate time, I would say that it´s about 700 or most. When I start a long term project like this, I do not care how long it takes, but the end result, and the Viggen for me deserves a good effort to be invested.

Greetings

Juan

Great work Juan and im impressed with your patience!

The photo you sent a link to is a JA37 and the compartment is where the RUF recording instrument is located that records the flight so the mission can be reviewed by the pilot and division. The contents behind this panel differs from the JA to all the other variants.

Is it possible to buy some resin from you like the SF-37 photo sight bulge and the Sk37?

Im impressed and love to follow your progress with theese!

Hi Poseidon! Many thanks for your words. One question, how in hell can you tell that the aircraft from the pic is a JA nad not an AJ? The fusalage pilons, perhaps?

About the parts that you are interested: I´ve passed lately all the masters that I´ve created for this project to Max , from Maestro Models, with the intention that he produce these items in resin and markets them with his line, so hopefully they will be available soon. The list of 1/72 items that i´ve passed to him is:

-SK modified spine.

SAM_1839.jpg

-SF recce nose with side view plug.

SAM_1836.jpg

-JA upgraded belly cannon.(most detailed and acurate that the one that he´s now selling)

SAM_1841.jpg

-Main and front landing gear wheel wells, with added detail to replace the bare wells of the kit.

SAM_1859.jpg

SAM_2200.jpg

-Ram air turbine, with its well and door.

SAM_1850.jpg

-FOD covers

SAM_1416-1.jpg

In adition i´ve worked out for him a 1/48 Ram air turbine

I hope you might find useful these items.

Greetings.

juan

Juan,

'

Ah good to see you back and see that you have gotten your MOJO back too..

Great updates and good work on the intakes et al..

Keep it rolling

SEE YA,

HOLMESY :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES

Hi again! Many thanks everybody for your kind words and support. One more week , one more update.

On the pevious post I shown the AJ fuselage rescribeed and almost with all its problems fixed, but some more work was still necessary.

This is the area were the plastic fuselage joins with the resin thrust reverser area . This is the upper area, just beneath the fin. As shown in the pic there is an ugly hollow that needs some care. I cover it with a piece of thin styrene, as it would not be very visible once the engine installed

SAM_3138-1.jpg

But this is more visible on the area were the wings are joined to the resin piece, some more care was necessary. Instead of using just plain plastic, I used aluminium foil shaped against the side of DVD case. This more or less resembles the detail of the real part in the aircraft.

SAM_3206-1.jpg

Moving to the front area of the kit, I opened the acces panel that Ive been talking about these last days, and make the door from Alu foil and plastic sheet.

SAM_3208.jpg

SAM_3216.jpg

And this is the current state of the vane.

SAM_3272.jpg

I take care of the instrument panel cover, that is something wrong and lacking in detail, as depicted in the kit, so I removed the upper detail

SAM_3212.jpg

and replaced it for styrene strips, and added some more detail with tamiya tape covered with MrSurfacer to simulate the surface of the cover.

SAM_3211.jpg

SAM_3210.jpg

SAM_3266.jpg

Finally, I completely lost the reason and added some tiny rivets across all the fuselage…My intention is that, instead of they were completely visible once the aircraft painted , they would help me as guide for painting and weathering effects on the painting process. For this reason they are not completely acurates.

SAM_3270.jpg

Now the fuselage is finished and ready to receive the wings and the canards, but still I have to take the other three kits to the same state.

All for now! I would really apreciate your opinions, friends!

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Gorgeous work, Juan!

About the HUD lens, couldn´t you just drill it out and use a heated clear sprue to make a lens? just heat the end of it and press it against the hole and you get a konvex lens :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again! I´m here with a new update.

First of all, thanks Janne for your interest and your suggestion on the HUD lens. I,ve tried your method previously, but found it a quite difficult to achieve a good result in this small scale, at least for me. What I use to do is paint the drilled circle on the appropiate colour and then add successive drops of Future or any gloss varnish until form a solid coat to resemble the lens.

I,ve been working on the kits during this two weeks but I have not a lot to show, basically because most of the work has been rescribing, riveting and solving small defects. Anyway I,ve some pics to show. I,ve finished the last details on SK and SH kits to take them to the same state that the AJ.

So, I installed the intermediate spine on the SK (still have to detail paint the visors and cover)…

SAM_3382.jpg

…and detailed the IP cover on the front position.

SAM_3381.jpg

SAM_3367.jpg

On the SF version, I painted the cockpit tube details (this was done with the original Eduard PE, not prepainted). I was not too inspired at the time of painting it and didn´t get a brilliant result, but it´s done anyway.

SAM_3380.jpg

SAM_3379.jpg

With the cockpit painted it was installed in place and the I detailed the front IP cover

SAM_3378.jpg

SAM_3377.jpg

With this done I instaled the spine on this kit

SAM_3373.jpg

As you can see on some pics I added that little holders between the fuselage and the air intakes to add some detail.

Other little detail added was that thin strips protruding from the fuselage on the area of the thrust reversers.

SAM_3376.jpg

With all this done on the rear fuselages I´m at present painting and detailing the thrust reverser area on the kits to be able to install the engunes and then, finally add the wings! I can´t wait to see that day… I will post some pics the next week.

As always I would like to hear your opinions.

Greetings.

Juan

Fantastic work Juan!

A little heads up tho on the rear....the AJ doesn´t have the series of small holes in the rear part, so you remember to fill those when you get to the AJ :D

saab_ajsh_37_viggen_37918_055_of_100.jpg

Fantastic work Juan!

A little heads up tho on the rear....the AJ doesn´t have the series of small holes in the rear part, so you remember to fill those when you get to the AJ :D

saab_ajsh_37_viggen_37918_055_of_100.jpg

Hi Janne!

Many thanks for your observation, I had not noticed this previously. Furthermore, thanks to your comment i,ve checked my refrences and found that those tiny holes are only present on tha JA, and not on the AJ, SF nor SK, so I will fill them ASAP.

And since we are talking about little details, I would like to confirm with you, if possible, a couple of things like this.

First: This little detail under the nosecone (I guess some kind of antenna) is only present on the JA version and not on all othe versions, isn´t it?

SAM_2261-1.jpg

Second.: on RAT area there is a door that usually keeps closed, just above the folding one. This door is slightly wider than the bottom one on all version, except the JA, in wich it´s the same width. I´m correct? (I hope you do not I´m mind using your pic)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc63/Aigore/AJ%2037%20Viggen/Construction/Intakes%20and%20hatches/Generator/IMG_2821.jpg

I will be grateful if you could help me to confirm these observations. Thanks in advance and keep good work.

Juan