Signing on to the group build (finally!)

Obligatory box shot:

5548523069_87714a23e5_z.jpg

And that is about as far as I got with this one last night. Still working on finishing up an F-14, and I'm sure some of you can relate to how long it can take to decide what to work on next.

I'm planning on doing this one box stock, so no AM goodies or decals.

-Dave

Nothing too exciting.

I've gotten the interior done up, next up will be assembly of the fuselage. I'm not going to worry about weathering this one, so the interior is going to stay pretty bland.

5571100836_04c1b73f6d_z.jpg

5571101624_34fcbb84c7_z.jpg

-Dave

• 2 months later...

Yay for progress! Fuselage has been closed up, glass installed, windows masked, and painted:

5777274085_0f1b0862e7_z.jpg

The black areas around the exhaust has also been painted and the whole thing has beem clearcoated in preparation for decals, I just don't have any more pictures yet.

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

More progress!! :woo:

All of the decals have been applied and clearcoated, and all of the window masks have been removed. I used liquid mask on the circular side windows, which was kind of a leap of faith for me. I haven't tried liquid mask in about 15 years, because the last time I used it, it reacted very badly with the paint and permanantly etched itself and the paint into the glass, ruining my model. This time I used a different brand and ran about 10 different test samples with varying hold times and layers of paint before I even put it on the model. I'm very pleased it was successful this time! Only one picture right now:

5858808910_181e92ea35_z.jpg

Not much more to do, just need to paint and install the landing gear, and paint, build, and install the rotors and she will be done.

Thanks for looking!

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Kris!

Well, there wasn't much more to do, so there aren't many more pictures.

Here's three of the rotor blades, painted Aluminum. The top two have a portion masked off in preparation for painting the black. After that I masked and painted the yellow tips.

5959853036_d22e0df9f1_z.jpg

After that, all I had to do was paint and install the landing gear, install the rotor hubs and blades and Shazaam! its done!

5959286941_6b41ee69db_z.jpg

It didn't turn out too bad. There are a few seams that aren't that great, mostly on the bottom, but I'm happy enough with it. I'll post more pictures in the completed builds thread. Thanks everybody for watching, hope you enjoyed it.

-Dave

Thanks for the comment Antoine.

The kit is made by Fujimi, which I know they have released in at least three different varieties, which includes one of the Japanese versions. Overall, I'm very happy about the kit. The cockpit has nice IP detail (no decals here), and the fit of the major parts is very good. I did need to add a bit of filler to the area just ahead of the rear sail where the intakes are. Also, the side sponsons are three separate pieces each. A top and bottom, plus an endplate. The top and bottom pieces could stand to have a small piece of styrene at the front seam, otherwise you will get a step where those two pieces mate up to the fuselage and the endplate. I didn't do this, and it is pretty noticable on the bottom. The only real complaint I have are the rotors. The hubs are two pieces that don't fit together really well, and the rotors themselves don't have very positive mounting points. Mine aren't exactly evenly spaced. :rolleyes:

All that being said, I would definately build another one. (I've still got one in the stash!)

-Dave