Super Hornet refueling pod

Hi!

Is there a 1/48 refueling pod avaiable? I want to build a VFA-115 F/A-18E in the tanker configuration, but Iam missing the centerline refueling pod.

Edited by Ventris

Wolfpack has one on his "to do" list. Two Mikes has also promised to do one. The Hornet pod is substantially different than the Cobra offering. I'd be surprised if one of the two aforementioned AM companies don't produce a correct pod this year.

Thanks!

Looks like I have to delay the tanker project.

I think I will build the Super Bug like the one in the pictures.

Looks like 2xAIM9-M, 4xMK-84 Snakeeye, 1xGBU-10 and 1xAIM-120 to me, right?

1280_3066646139363464.jpg

1280_6534326264396234.jpg

1280_6464323934336439.jpg

Edited by Ventris

They are Mk.82's, not Mk.84's. The Mk.82 is a 500lbs weapon, the Mk.84 is a 2000lbs one. Putting 8000lbs under one wing is a bit heavy, don't you agree :whistle: . And the GBU looks more like a GBU-16 to me, a 1000lbs bomb, not the GBU-10 (2000lbs).

They are Mk.82's, not Mk.84's. The Mk.82 is a 500lbs weapon, the Mk.84 is a 2000lbs one. Putting 8000lbs under one wing is a bit heavy, don't you agree :whistle: . And the GBU looks more like a GBU-16 to me, a 1000lbs bomb, not the GBU-10 (2000lbs).

Thanks for the correction, I always mix up the MK-84 and MK-82.

Ventris-

I agree with Pete, the LGB is a GBU-16. The photos looks like the 2001 OEF deployment, correct? IIRC this was the first combat use of the Super Hornet. If you don't want Snakeyes on the VERs you can load 3x 1000 lb BLU-110 (Mk. 83 with different explosive) slicks on the opposite side of the LGB. Two would go inboard on a VER, the third single on the middle pylon. A single AIM-120 can go outboard of the LGB to help counterbalance the moment of this asymmetric load.

My apologies if these are CVERs and not VERs. I find it hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Best of luck in modeling this historic moment in Super Bug history.

Also, the Mk 82s (actually they're BLU-111s) in these photos were fitted with the BSU-86 "Snakeye II" fins, not the original Mk 15 Snakeye that are the only ones you can find models of. The Mk 15 was never cleared for use on the F/A-18E/F.

I'm sitting working on the TwoMikes ARS masters tonight (based on very accurate drawings from JR aka mrvark) and should be delivering them by hand to Mike in 3 weeks time for him to start casting, along with a 1/48 SHARP. The ARS will include the two different RAT props/blades and the fuel dump pipe specific to the S-3 Viking.

Edited by CraigSargent