1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader

Here's my latest project, the Hasegawa 1:48 F-8E. It's not only my first Crusader build, but my first "full-meal-deal" build with more resin and PE than I've added to all my previous builds combined!

Should be fun.

IMG_5535.jpg

IMG_5536.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

Good start, in the process with one myself, the Aires Gear-well and under wing bay are virtually a drop fit, I had to do a bit of grinding on the U/W bay but not bad at all, now the cockpit is a completely different story.

Your going to be a few parts short starting with that kit, you might be missing the Y racks for the Sidewinders and Zuni's, and the wing pylons are going to be different,along with the stabs, I believe those are for the "J" which are bigger in chord :o

Curt

the thread should be moved to the in-progress Forum if you plan to continue with the on-line build.

Good start, in the process with one myself, the Aires Gear-well and under wing bay are virtually a drop fit, I had to do a bit of grinding on the U/W bay but not bad at all, now the cockpit is a completely different story.

Your going to be a few parts short starting with that kit, you might be missing the Y racks for the Sidewinders and Zuni's, and the wing pylons are going to be different,along with the stabs, I believe those are for the "J" which are bigger in chord :o

Curt

the thread should be moved to the in-progress Forum if you plan to continue with the on-line build.

So where can I source the Y racks, correct wing pylons and correct stabs? Maybe I could just claim Crusader ignorance . . . . would it be very noticeable?

I guess you'll need them especially since your doing a Marine F-8.

You could have my Y racks and Zuni tubes, but I used the war-heads on my F/A-18D, you'll have to find the wing pylons though as I'll be using mine, I think you can get away with the stabs as only the well versed Crusader fanatic might pick up on it.

PM me your address.

So what about that seat.....

Curt

I guess you'll need them especially since your doing a Marine F-8.

You could have my Y racks and Zuni tubes, but I used the war-heads on my F/A-18D, you'll have to find the wing pylons though as I'll be using mine, I think you can get away with the stabs as only the well versed Crusader fanatic might pick up on it.

PM me your address.

So what about that seat.....

Curt

Thanks, Curt. PM sent.....

I got your PM.

I'm not familiar with the seat you have (who makes it) but it is the early Mk5,I must be using the True Detail seat, (bad that I don't remember who's seat it is)I compared the Black Box seat (Mk 5) and Aires seats (Mk7). The only thing I don't like about the TD seat I have is that it has a RBF flag running down the side of the seat, I didn't care for it because it covered allot of detail, but I made it work.

I also used the Aires pit, but added the deck from the BB pit, it's added bit more detail.

Curt

100_6613.jpg

100_6612.jpg

100_6609.jpg

Edited by Netz

Can anybody confirm for me that on a Marine F-8E the leading edges should be one piece instead of two as the kit I'm working on has them? In other words, I should fuse the two kit parts of the leading edge to make it accurate for a USMC Crusader, correct?

ABslatsbefore.jpg

ABSlatsafter.jpg

Can anybody confirm for me that on a Marine F-8E the leading edges should be one piece instead of two as the kit I'm working on has them? In other words, I should fuse the two kit parts of the leading edge to make it accurate for a USMC Crusader, correct?

ABslatsbefore.jpg

ABSlatsafter.jpg

Andy

Yes one piece leading edge.

Don

Make sure to fill and remove the panel line created by the 2 parts, the "J" had the double hinged LE Flap.

HERE'S a good thread that will help you out, I know your working with a "J" kit to build the "E" but you should be fine with this comparison, it will be easy to make your "J" parts take on the "E" look :}

You can also refer to the "E" instructions over at Hobby Search LINK.

I dropped a letter in the mail for you yesterday.

Curt

• 1 year later...