1/24 Audi R10 TDI Revell

Got this a couple weeks ago. I've started a few things by throwing some paint at some parts. This is where it's at now.

DSCN2954.jpg

I mixed up some black/steel as per instructed and that's what you see all the dark parts as. Also painted some steel/bronze mix on the engine parts and whatnot. In the process of adding several coats of Future to the blackish parts before really getting into assembly.

Hope it turns out as good as the Mclaren F1 did.

K

Yea we'll see but thank you. I can already tell the kit isn't quite as nice. A lot of what made the F1 so nice was the kit was just superb.

Looking good buddy, I'm watching with interest. Will it be curbside?

It'll just go in another generic plastic case to go on the shelf and avoid the evil dust gremlins.

By the way does anyone make any racing drivers for cars of this scale? Although then it would be pretty hard to get the fire suit and helmet to match unless there were decals printed as well. I know Tamiya used to do riders for their motorcycle line but not sure if they have 1/24 drivers.

It'll just go in another generic plastic case to go on the shelf and avoid the evil dust gremlins.

By the way does anyone make any racing drivers for cars of this scale? Although then it would be pretty hard to get the fire suit and helmet to match unless there were decals printed as well. I know Tamiya used to do riders for their motorcycle line but not sure if they have 1/24 drivers.

I don't know if they come with the decals shown or not, but these ones even have the Audi markings on them. Figure Linky

I've ordered from strada sports before, he is a really good guy.

-Dave

edit: Actually, looking at them again, it appears that they might even be prepainted. They have diorama stuff for doing pitstops too.

Edited by 2qwik4u

I don't know if they come with the decals shown or not, but these ones even have the Audi markings on them. Figure Linky

I've ordered from strada sports before, he is a really good guy.

-Dave

edit: Actually, looking at them again, it appears that they might even be prepainted. They have diorama stuff for doing pitstops too.

That has just become my new favorite website.

I can see myself spending a large fortune there over the next few years.

For this project though I'm thinking the Audi driver sitting with arms raised in victory would look pretty sweet in this car.

I haven't seen any reviews say it's totally wrong. I think the box art drawing is probably off for sure. It's in too many pieces to really mock up and take a look so I guess we'll see.

It'll be close enough for me.

Some more work completed.

I was looking around on the internet for pics of these car and I found a great one of the engine area that led me to do something a little different.

After looking at the picture it appears the entire area was covered in a heat resistant aluminum coating or fabric. They also covered up half the exhausts with it. So to the kitchen I ran and I used goof ole kitchen foil to do the same thing. Gives it a nice texture that looks way better than paint.

DSCN2977.jpg

And the real picture...

90805300121L2.jpg

As you can see Revell left out a good bit and it tempts me further to get that 40 dollar up-set from Strada.

That would also put this way on hold as I don't have the money now but am starting a new job tomorrow for extra cash.

I may get some old speaker wire and strip it to add some miscellaneous wiring in the engine as well. On my kit the I guess intake manifolds on top come off so I can still do whatever. I may look through spares to see what else I could find. A couple fan blades from 72nd jet engines I think would work for the turbo intakes on the sides but I don't think I have anything like that.

Pushing on...

K

So seeing that real picture inspired me to get crazy. I "never" do this but whatever.

So I'm done with the engine bay and here's the finished product.

Before modifications...

DSCN2977.jpg

After modifications...

DSCN2979.jpg

DSCN2980.jpg

DSCN2981.jpg

DSCN2982.jpg

One of the intakes sat too high so I had to break it off and re-cut it. The engine cover is still wanting to sit a little high and I think it's hitting on some of the wiring I added. Once the front body is solidly attached I'll have to see if it will hold snug or I might have to rip the wire out. I used a bunch of wire from speaker wire. The intakes were made out of 2 resin 1/48 B-17 superchargers from the Verlinden kit I think.

Misc parts from misc pieces of PE were also added. I want to do a bit more rear of the wheels but I'm done dressing the engine.

K

K

Well the modifications look very good and the Choice of kitchen foil is impressive as it does looks good ,

if not better than the paint...NICE WORK.

I LOVE the AUDI markings on the engine... :jaw-dropping:

Very realistic indeed...and the body frame is coming along fine...

Keep up the good work

HOLMESY :worship:

Did some paint. Screwed up. Will have to paint again. :bandhead2:

DSCN2983.jpg

DSCN2984.jpg

DSCN2985.jpg

Painted the silver days ago. Applied 2 coats of Future. Painted the red today and the tape did some damage to the silver. It's very minimal but enough that I'm not happy with it.

I'll tape over the red now and redo all the silver. Should have done it that way anyway.

K,

Don't you just hate it when that happens...Grrrr.. :o

....sorry to see that happen to you just when you were

doing so well...Looking forward to seeing more...But it , the silver paint, DID look good...

Good luck .. :thumbsup:

HOLMES

Edited by HOLMES

Repainted the body today and everything turned out nicely. Will probably get the front attached to the chassis tomorrow then Future Future Future then decals. Almost there.

How is this coming along.... :thumbsup: