ok, I really hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew on this one, I just finished an 1/72 Heller SBC-4 USMC Helldiver that could have turned out better, my technique of using liquid latex to mask the canopy left more to be desired, I think I may just go in and paint it by hand with a toothpick, I'm starting my build tomorrow. Debating also building a Curtiss F11C Goshawk, thoughts?

Hi

This Heller kit is fine. You can paint the canopy frames with a brush and when it''s dry enough wipe the excess with the toothpick as it does not hurt the cristal.

Patrick

my technique of using liquid latex to mask the canopy left more to be desired, I think I may just go in and paint it by hand with a toothpick, I'm starting my build tomorrow. Debating also building a Curtiss F11C Goshawk, thoughts?

The use of Tamiya tape even for brushpaint sounds good. Also you can paint stripes of decal paper with your color, cut them and apply as a regular decal.

Welcome to this GB, hope you will do the Goshawk, I love it.

Bye for now!

Here is what I have to work with for this GB

DSC_0010-4.jpg

I started working on the SBC-3 first

DSC_0011-4.jpg

I started plastic surgery to fit the new resin parts to the injection body from the Heller kit

DSC_0012-4.jpg

all of the resin parts fit well to the fuselage! but then I realized that I don't have an engine to go into the cowling, I just ordered a Curtiss Wright R-1820 from engines and things, I hope it fits.

DSC_0013-4.jpg

I guess I will start working on the interior while i wait for the new engine to come in.

The use of Tamiya tape even for brushpaint sounds good. Also you can paint stripes of decal paper with your color, cut them and apply as a regular decal.

Hi

It is more time consuming but more pecise with Tamiya tape :

m_198714536_0.jpg

This is the front part of a Valom Hampden in progress and the seringe is a future machinegun.

Patrick

Hi

It is more time consuming but more pecise with Tamiya tape :

m_198714536_0.jpg

This is the front part of a Valom Hampden in progress and the seringe is a future machinegun.

Patrick

Ok, so do you pre cut the tape? thats my biggest gripe with making tape, is that I can never mask clear parts right. I usually use scotch tape or liquid latex.

In other news the SBC-3 is mostly painted so I am going to do the last painting tomorrow and start the final assembly. I'll take some new picture tomorrow

Ok, so do you pre cut the tape? thats my biggest gripe with making tape, is that I can never mask clear parts right. I usually use scotch tape or liquid latex.

In other news the SBC-3 is mostly painted so I am going to do the last painting tomorrow and start the final assembly. I'll take some new picture tomorrow

The complex shapes have been cut directly on the part with a new blade, but the rectangular ones have been pre-cut. I work behind a magnifier light.

Patrick

I used Model Master Enamels for the gloss white and Chrome Yellow, as well as the flat black and the steel enamel I used for the wheel hubs and the canopy lines. For the main body of the aircraft I used Alclad Aluminum