F/A-18B Blue Angels

Alrighty.... Some of you may remember that a little while ago I built a VMFA-224 Bengals "D" Hornet from the 1/72 Hasegawa Marine Combo (see THIS THREAD). When I finished the Bengals, I decided to build the 2nd one as a Blue Angels, but have not found aftermarket decals yet until recently.... Bid and won a Cam Pro Blue Angels decals from eBay! Woo hoo!!! :yahoo:

IMG_4560.jpg

I actually started building this Hornet back when I was still building the Bengals. This is where it's at right now.

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

This will be another in-flight build. I won't bother putting any pilot figures in the cockpit though. Instead, I'll heavily tint the canopy.

This Hornet didn't give me as much trouble as the Bengals one. Although, I still needed a lot of putty (both Tamiya and Milliput).

I sprayed the jet exhaust with Citadel Boltgun Metal. I may "highlight" the petals a bit with something darker. Not quite sure what yet. Maybe I'd use Mr Metal Color Iron... or maybe Tamiya Gun Metal?

IMG_4528.jpg

'Later! :cheers:

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

Heavily tinted the canopy and windscreen with Tamiya smoke mixed with a couple of drops of Citadel Chainmail, just for fun. :woot.gif:

2012-01-21210026.jpg

The problem with this kit is that the canopy frame was hardly visible at all, making it that much harder to mask! I ended up using a blue marker to highlight the frame so that it's visible through the Tamiya tape.

EDIT: BTW, I wasn't trying to pre-shade with the black paint there. Just trying to see seam lines that may need to be re-puttied.

Edited by Mike C

Sprayed Tamiya white primer... Need a tad more putty in a couple of obscure places between wing root and engine nacelle, then time to spray the Blue Angels paint! :woot.gif:

IMG_4579.jpg

Edited by Mike C

I've just tested spraying the GSI Aqueous Hobby H328 (Blue FS15050) onto the vert stabs, and found that the blue does not look.... right. Comparing it with the Blue Angels pics on Airliners.net, GSI's blue looks too dark. Curious, I tried spraying spare vert stabs with GSI Aqueous Hobby H322 (Phthalocyanine Blue). Here's the pic of both sets side-by-side. The left pair was sprayed with H328, the right one with H322. They look virtually identical to my eyes (except the H322 is flatter since I mixed some Flat Base in it, for my previous project).

IMG_4581.jpg

I'm gonna get Tamiya's X-3 Royal Blue tomorrow (hopefully) and try that. Last I looked, from the bottom of the bottle at least, Tamiya's Royal Blue appears closer to actual Blue Angels' shade of blue.

Edited by Mike C

OK... I've just experimented a bit.

First experiment: I sprayed one vert stab with BA Yellow, let it dry a bit, then sprayed BA Blue over it.

Second experiment: Tinted 0.5ml of BA Blue with 5 drops of BA Yellow, then sprayed to another vert stab.

Here's a pic of these two vert stabs, next to another pair that was sprayed with straight BA Blue (no undercoat).

IMG_4588.jpg

There's hardly any visible difference at all between 1st experiment and straight BA Blue, while 2nd experiment was a bit of a failure.

Edited by Mike C

That sounds like a lot of work. I won't go that far. :whistle:

In fact, what you've just said simply reinforced what I've been thinking all along: just spray the darned thing with BA Blue and be done with it! :woot.gif:

Chris, If they sell Krylon brand spray paint in Australia, pick up some Krylon Blue, it matches so good the team uses it for touch ups in the field ...

Your build is looking quite nice too ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Krylon True Blue, huh? Interesting... I might drop by at my local Bunnings Warehouse and see if they got some. For those of you non Aussies, Bunnings Warehouse is a popular chain of HUGE hardware stores.

Anyway, I might be posting a pic or two later. Stay tuned.... :monkeydance:

IMG_4593.jpg

DO NOT touch the settings on your display! And, no, your eyes weren't seeing things. It really is yellow. This li'l Hornet suffers from a severe case of jaundice!! :rofl::rofl:

Am I going crazy? Maybe.... :taunt:

Edited by Mike C
  • 3 weeks later...

Just sprayed the first layer of blue paint tonight.

IMG_4605.jpg

I actually tried to create paper masks, but it was too hard, so I abandoned the idea. I certainly hope the CAM Pro decal is opaque enough so that the blue won't show through.... :unsure:

Edited by Mike C
  • 1 month later...

I did the burner quite a while ago but kept forgetting to upload the pics.

IMG_4607.jpg

Used a piece of paper to sand off a couple of areas where some stray lint ended up on the surface during spraying and got trapped in, then sprayed 2nd layer of blue coat.

IMG_4606.jpg

I did this at least 2 months ago. Have not had the chance to put in more bench time since then due to ridiculous work load and travel lots, including spending 2 weeks in Sillicon Valley! Just got back in Oz last Sunday morning. Jet lag is still killing me!

'Later! :cheers::thumbsup:

Edited by Mike C

I just started applying some of the decals. I'm so happy to learn that the CAM Pro decals are quite opaque. None of the blue actually showed thru.

Sorry, no pics yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The spine decal was an absolute disaster!!! :angry:

As soon as I saw the decal, I knew it would be bloody hard to apply it properly, and I was RIGHT! It probably would've been much easier to mask and spray, and the result would've been much better!

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

I'm gonna try to touch up with paint and see how it looks. If it looks like crap (which I'm sure it will), I'll probably strip out the decal and paint instead. DANG IT! :bandhead2:

Edited by Mike C

Get rid of that decal...euch!

A tip on painting yellow tho, first paint pink and then yellow on top...you ger rid of the greenish tint when you shoot thin layers so that means you don´t have to put down thick layers to keep it yellow :D

Yeah... Looks like I'll have to completely get rid off the decal. After leaving it for a few hours to settle down, there are a couple of places where air bubbles had formed, despite using Tamiya Mark Fit generously when I applied the decals. Oh well... I'm not looking forward to the masking.... :bandhead2:

Edited by Mike C

Sprayed quite a few layers of Blue Angels Yellow on the spine over the last few days, at least 5. I think it's ready to be unmasked... Although I gotta say, I'm a bit apprehensive... I might wait for the last layer that I just sprayed on a few mins ago to cure for a few hours, maybe overnight, before unmasking...

IMG_4618.jpg

Edited by Mike C

Looking great :D

But like I said, start with painting pink and then yellow on top of that ..you don´t need as many coats and it doesn´t get the green tint.

I´m guessing that you´re worried about pooling along the masked lines? A bit of polishing will make the border between the colors less pronounced and when you coat it with clear coat it will be even less so:D

cheers! :D

Thanks Aigore. I guess I'm a bit lazy, so I went straight to spraying yellow.

With regards to polishing, what do I use? Polishing compound?

Anyway... I couldn't want until tomorrow, so decided to unmask the bird tonight... Well... it's far from perfect but I'm happy with the result nonetheless. I ain't gonna go thru all the trouble of remasking to touch up some of the imperfect spots. Also, despite careful masking, there was still some little overspray here and there, which should be easy enough to fix later.

IMG_4620.jpg

I also just noticed that I forgot to mask the top part of the canopy. So, I'd have to carefully respray 'em with blue later.

Edited by Mike C