I have been searching for a 1/72 harrier gr.5, and what I have been able to determine is that I should stay far far away from the esci / italeri / revell kit. I know hasegawa made one, but I have been able to turn up only one at a stupid price. AFAIK hasegawa's harrier II kits are all basically the same mold with different noses and LERX. My question is: to make a gr.5 could I take an av-8b kit and simply replace the nose with quickboost correction and get a set of gr.5 markings from the xtradecal sheet? Is there anything else that would need to be sourced or should I be good to go with tower simple changes?

Cheers,

Rusty.

Edited by rustywelder

I think that you should be ok with that, just make sure you have the correct LEX.

Are you sure the ESCI kit is that bad?? I know the GR.3 and Sea Harrier were nice little kits, did they go astray on the GR.5

Curt

Are you sure the ESCI kit is that bad??

Esci's first-gen Harrier kits are little gems, but their GR.5/AV-8B less so.

Airfix's new GR.7/9 kit can be recommended as well.

Cheers,

Andre

Esci's AV-8A/C Harrier kits are little gems, but their GR.5/AV-8B HArrier II are UNBUILDABLE!

Well, "unbuildable" may be a little strong, but 1) the Esci kit is increasingly rare these days, and 2) there are much, *much* better kits readily available.

Cheers,

Andre

Ok, so after reading the britmodeler thread that polo linked to. It would seem I'm best off grafting my quickboost nose on to the airfix gr.7/9 instead. Which acctually works out well since I can get the airfix kit for a lot cheaper.

Cheers guys.

Rusty.

Does anyone know where the Airfix Gr.5 from the early 90s fits in in quality with Harrier kits? I know it's OOP but might it be worth our original poster's time seeking it out?

I ask that as I have had problems with resin shrinkage using Quickboost parts. Their Gr.5 nose was one such part that shrunk.

Does anyone know where the Airfix Gr.5 from the early 90s fits in in quality with Harrier kits? I know it's OOP but might it be worth our original poster's time seeking it out?

Until the advent of Hasegawa's Harrier II, it was the best second-gen Harrier kit out there. It still holds up nicely and can be built to look good.

Cheers,

Andre

I have been searching for a 1/72 harrier gr.5, and what I have been able to determine is that I should stay far far away from the esci / italeri / revell kit.

Just a minor clarification: unlike the GR.3/Sea Harrier FA.1 kits, the ESCI GR.5 is a different kit to the Italeri GR.5. (The Revell GR.5 is a rebox of one of them, but I forget which; the ESCI, I think.) The reputation of both is pretty bad.

Either the Airfix or Hasegawa GR.5 kits, or any Airfix/Hasegawa GR.7 kit with suitable modifications (the nose, mainly) will do the job.

Edited by BWP