This is the Tamiya kit with a bunch of added details. No PE or resin aftermarket stuff this time, I went old-school and scratch-built everything extra from sprue and plastic.

This is a Republican Guard T-72, circa 1991. Some of the extras include adding all of the conduit and junction boxes for the smoke grenade launchers, TOW jammer and IR lights, a bunch of small fittings on the MG mount / commander's cupola and various other small bits and pieces that were missed in the base kit. The hardest part was painting the Arabic numbers on the front and rear license plates!

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

Edited by 11bee

OK, I gotta ask somebody that's seen a zillion more of them in the flesh than I'll ever see in real life. The only one I've ever seen was the one that WAS in the Patton Mesuem. The paint job was similar in color, but was a semi gloss finish (might have even been a gloss). Was that correct or should they have been a matte finish?

gary

OK, I gotta ask somebody that's seen a zillion more of them in the flesh than I'll ever see in real life. The only one I've ever seen was the one that WAS in the Patton Mesuem. The paint job was similar in color, but was a semi gloss finish (might have even been a gloss). Was that correct or should they have been a matte finish?

gary

Only seen one ex-Iraqi tank in RL but it was a matte, light tan. Not to say they didn't have variation in their finishes but even in all the pics, I've never seen anything that appears to be glossy. They did have a few T-72's painted in a darker, almost cardboard brown that looked pretty cool.

All the ones I saw in Iraq (or wat was left of them) were flat. Most museum pieces are repainted in glossy paint since it holds up better to the elements and lasts longer.

thanks guys! I suspected that was not the correct finish. Boy I sure miss visiting Ft. Knox! But I now have gotten an "in" to seriously photograph an M1 IP tank! Plus a couple others in the mix as well.

gary

• 2 weeks later...