Glossing flat paint and polishing BMF

I have a couple of questions. First, I have mixed a custom Blue Angel Blue color for my Blue Angel A-4. I used Yellowhammer's instructions, found on their Blue Angel F-18 decal sheet (mix equal amounts of gloss Testors dark blue (no. 1111) and MM insignia blue FS35044). However, the insignia blue is a flat paint, and when mixing them and painting, the finish is slightly shiny, but rough like flat paint. I figure I could mix Testors Glosscote to the paint to make it smooth and shiny, but I was wondering what would be a good paint to gloss ratio. I have a good starting coat of the paint already on the model, but I'd like to come back and apply another coat with the gloss mixed in. For the other question, I plan on using Bare Metal Foil for the polished aluminum areas, but none of their foils look shiny enough. Is there a way the foil can be polished to create a mirror finish? Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

I still plan to apply a gloss overcoat, but I'd like the paint to be as smooth as possible. Future would make the finish glossy, but not necessarily smooth. I'm trying to almost give the paint a mirror finish (the Blues kept their planes CLEAN). Thanks for the help, though!

Matte paints shouldn't be (visibly) rough. If yours are, you have a problem.

For the gloss, your best bet would be to apply a standard gloss coat over the finished paint. Rub the model out with some very fine sandpaper before spraying the gloss to even out the paint, then spray your gloss. If that's rough or orange peeled, you can sand and polish the gloss coat. If you want a car model type shine, apply another gloss coat over the decals, and sand/polish/wax it to a high shine. Your model will look pretty toy-like and silly, though. Even a full-on gloss would probably be excessive.

For the BMF, no, you can't really polish it per-se, mainly because it's too delicate. Again though, if it's too bright and reflective, it will look silly. That said, any of the chrome/polished aluminum foils will be more than shiny enough for you.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was wanting to make the finish about as shiny as an average car model, but I guess that would be too shiny for a smaller scale plane (1/48). Actually, my paint isn't very rough, but it's definitely not as smooth as gloss paint, nor does it have any depth or reflection to it. Thanks again!

no matter what type of finish i have, i rub it down with fine grade steel wool available at wal-mart, it will smooth out the pebbly finish, and it give it sort of a sheem, makeing it perfect for a gloss coat

josh

I can strongly recommend the procedure Big Josh describes, I use the same method during all finishing stages of a model and am very happy with the results ;) ! I also treat the finished model with this method instead of using a final clear coat. It levels any visible edges on decals and subdues sharp paint edges etc. Using the finest grade ( 0000 in Germany), a gentle rub even works great on BMF :)

Give it a try, you'll love it ;) :rolleyes:

Lothar