Trip to Vegas & Honolulu

Hi Guys,

The wife and I are heading back to the states in November for another holiday. Luckily enough (I swear it was coincidence but SWMBO doesn't believe me) we are going to be in Las Vegas the same weekend as Aviation Nation. A few things I wanted to check with those of you who regularly attend and/or work at Nellis AFB:

Is it worth going both days?

Are there aircraft that only fly on the sunday (or the saturday for that matter)?

Is sunday the quieter day of the two?

Is it easy enough to drive to the speedway and catch the bus to the airbase or is it better to catch a taxi etc straight to the entry gates?

I was also wondering if it's worth visiting Hobbytown in Vegas. I'm going to visit a few of the model shops in LA to buy some kits/tools while we are there first so if there isn't anything extra I'll find at Hobbytown I may just flag it. I know Rare Plane Detectives is also in Vegas but I have most of the old kits I'm after so not too fussed if I miss out on visiting them.

Second part is in Honolulu, there any model shops worth visiting and is it reasonable for the wife and I to get round the Arizona Memorial, Mighty Mo and the aviation museum all within 5-6 hours (or a whole day if it takes that long)? We are normally pretty quick about getting round things.

Looking forward to coming back to the states (really enjoyed our last trip to LA and San Diego) and REALLY REALLY looking forward to seeing some proper military jets etc.

- Gaz

I can't comment on the Vegas part but when it comes to Honolulu the hobby shops there are really not that great I spent 10 days there in March and didn't find one there worth going to. As far as the Arizona Memorial you should probably look into spending an entire day. There is a lot of things to see there. I was tempted to take a second trip there just to see more of it. You should be able to arrange your stop there from their website. Just google USS Arizona Memorial and you should be able to find everything you need. It is worth every second of having to wade through all of the tourists in order to be there. Hope this helps JOSH

Thanks DevilLeader501, saves me hunting around for model shops in honolulu that aren't there. We may have to juggle things around a bit for more time at the arizona etc but we were planning on getting there pretty early in the morning. SWMBO barely tolerates war things so Mighty Mo and the aviation museum we'll probably whip through quicker as she'll be getting bored by then but the Arizona Memorial we will definately spend some more time at.

Sounds like you'll be there not long before me. After extensive online review reading and speaking to a few family members who have been to hawaii, we settled on the Coconut Waikiki Best Western. Sounds pretty good in the reviews and one mate who stayed there, plus it's a bit cheaper because it's a couple of streets back from the beach but still within walking distance of everything in Waikiki. We were gonna use public transport while we are there but from re-examining our planned activities we decided we'll rent a car, hello convertible mustang! :whistle:

- Gaz

Sounds like you'll be there not long before me. After extensive online review reading and speaking to a few family members who have been to hawaii, we settled on the Coconut Waikiki Best Western. Sounds pretty good in the reviews and one mate who stayed there, plus it's a bit cheaper because it's a couple of streets back from the beach but still within walking distance of everything in Waikiki. We were gonna use public transport while we are there but from re-examining our planned activities we decided we'll rent a car, hello convertible mustang! :whistle:

- Gaz

Everything in Waikiki is within walking distance from everything else in Waikiki. It's not really that big. Try some Hawaiian music (not Don Ho style, slack key guitar style) There's usually something at the Outrigger Reef hotel lanai bar or at Duke's Barefoot bar. The outrigger is also very close to Ft. Derussy where there is a nice Army museum located in what used to be a shore battery. Try the poke (poe-kay) at the Outrigger.

The band that plays at Duke's most Fridays is called Maunalua. A friend of my brother is in the trio. Very nice stuff and really nice guys.

The only real model store is on the other side of the island from Waikiki, in Kailua. It's called Weller's and is pretty nice. It's about a 40 mile drive over there, though. Nice drive through the mountains but you'd need a car.

The director of the Air Museum on Ford Island is an IPMSer named Burl Burlingame. He's a really nice guy and I don't know, but maybe if you contact him before your trip he can set you up something. He's frequently on Hyperscale.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Good information!

I am wanting to see some nice scenery - walks/hikes. I would like to have some beach time. Nightlife is not too important to me but I do like a nice patio for a drink and some great restaurants. I fully intend to spend a day at Pearl but I don't need to stay there for 2 weeks.

So I Waikiki for me? Maui? Damn - I need to read up some more.

Hi Guys,

The wife and I are heading back to the states in November for another holiday. Luckily enough (I swear it was coincidence but SWMBO doesn't believe me) we are going to be in Las Vegas the same weekend as Aviation Nation. A few things I wanted to check with those of you who regularly attend and/or work at Nellis AFB:

Is it worth going both days?

Are there aircraft that only fly on the sunday (or the saturday for that matter)?

Is sunday the quieter day of the two?

Is it easy enough to drive to the speedway and catch the bus to the airbase or is it better to catch a taxi etc straight to the entry gates?

I was also wondering if it's worth visiting Hobbytown in Vegas. I'm going to visit a few of the model shops in LA to buy some kits/tools while we are there first so if there isn't anything extra I'll find at Hobbytown I may just flag it. I know Rare Plane Detectives is also in Vegas but I have most of the old kits I'm after so not too fussed if I miss out on visiting them.

Second part is in Honolulu, there any model shops worth visiting and is it reasonable for the wife and I to get round the Arizona Memorial, Mighty Mo and the aviation museum all within 5-6 hours (or a whole day if it takes that long)? We are normally pretty quick about getting round things.

Looking forward to coming back to the states (really enjoyed our last trip to LA and San Diego) and REALLY REALLY looking forward to seeing some proper military jets etc.

- Gaz

I am here at Nellis and sometimes things fly on Saturaday and break on sunday or visa versa. If you are free on Friday the day before the actual show starts, it is media , family and friends day , less hassles and great for taking pictures. I would welcome you and your wife as my guest and and get you in and show you around, Contact me in personal conversation if you have any questions.

Edited by ccrqw602002

Thanks for all the info guys. ccrqw602002, that's an incredibly generous offer. I'll have a chat to the wife and see if we can shuffle our plans around a bit to clear up friday. We were going to drive from LA to Vegas on the friday morning but if it comes down to it we can leave earlier in the morning to get to Vegas at an earlier time. I'll be in touch soon to confirm things with you. Thanks you so much!

- Gaz

Thanks for all the info guys. ccrqw602002, that's an incredibly generous offer. I'll have a chat to the wife and see if we can shuffle our plans around a bit to clear up friday. We were going to drive from LA to Vegas on the friday morning but if it comes down to it we can leave earlier in the morning to get to Vegas at an earlier time. I'll be in touch soon to confirm things with you. Thanks you so much!

- Gaz

Sure keep me posted on the details , it is normally a five hours drive from LA to Vegas depending on traffic. The Friday show normally goes the entire duty of airaraft arriving and set up and performers practicing for the events on Saturaday and Sunday. so if you want to take pictures with lets crowds around that is the day. I normally volunteer to work the show on Saturaday or Sunday to help raise funds for unit.

Sounds good. We'll probably end up going on either the saturday or sunday as well (leaning towards sunday at the moment) so that way, on one day I'll take picks of all the static displays and on the other i'll take pics of the flying displays. I'll be in touch.

Cheers!

- Gaz

I was in HI in July and we did the Pearl Harbour tour using Discovery Tours. They are the only tour operator who does all the Pearl Harbour sites in a day; Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin, USS Missouri and Pacific Aviation Museum. The cost was around $120 for the all day tour. You can also just catch the local bus from Waikiki but it takes up to 1 hr 15 mins to get out to the Visitor's centre (as opposded to about 30 mins on a tour). Once you are at Pearl you just catch a local shuttle that is free to get out onto Ford Island. I figured you could save about $50 on the total tour cost if you catch the local bus.

Thanks, the wife and I had looked at that exact tour, but we think we'll like the flexibility to leave when we want etc. We tend to motor through museums and things like that (both of us tend to be power walkers) so we reckon we'll get through it all in a day. If not or if we want more time we'll have the car so we can always go on a second day. Cheers for the info though.

- Gaz