Mirage 1700L droptanks

Hey Hey!!!

I'm looking for some scale drawings or measurements of the huge 1700L droptanks :)

I try to make one from scratch in the big scale, so far I've used a Heller tank, but it looks WAY to big on the birdy :(

Thanks,

Mikkel

Mirage III/5 ??

In 1/48 you can buy them from PWMP in Belgium

In 1/32 Scale check Z5 forum , there is a in progress on a revell 1/32 Mirage 5 and a friend of the builder makes them in resin...

Hope this helpes

Edited by 31Tiger

:D, g'day MIG Mikkel,

Do you have any pics of your homemade tanks handy. The 1700 litre tanks were big and looked big especially on the smallish Mirage III airframe so your tanks may not be too large at all. If you post some pics of your own tanks I could maybe tell you if they're too big or not. I had plenty of experience filling these tanks during my time at 2OCU at Williamtown, especially when we were deploying to far away places like Townsville and Learmonth. When we got to where we were deploying to we then had to change the tanks back to 500 litre supersonic tanks for the duration of the deployment then change them back to the "big jugs" as we called them for the trip home. On one occasion I had the unfortunate experience of having a young instrument fitter being in the cockpit doing his checks while I was filling the port side 1700 litre tank. I was just finishing off the fill when he accidentally hit the fuel dump switch which popped open the dump valve in the bottom of the tank. Suddenly I had 1700 litres of kerosene pouring all over my feet and running down the drain. I had to let it all drain out before I could reset the valve. There were a few red faces over that one.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Has he started using PayPal? Last time I asked he only used bank transfer but the bank fees were more expensive than the parts I wanted to buy.

Hi there

Friends let's be more comprensive with Mikkel he still a kid so no ATM/credit card or debit card ???? I just remmember sending cutting grass money to a friend to buy me models kits (in that time no CD or WWW only plain paper and snail mail middle of 80's) because no hobbie store down the border

Keep trying Mikkel all of us at some point did some sratch

Cheers

Armando

:D, I agree with RAGATIGER. Keep going with the scratchbuild MIG Mikkel and if you can post some pics of your scratch built tanks either on the Mirage airframe or next to it and I'm sure there are plenty besides just me here who've had experience with these tanks in the past and can tell you whether they look right or not. I'm now in a situation where I can't afford too much AM stuff any more having just bought an old car which I'm going to be spending the next couple of years restoring (fortunately it's in one piece and in good condition for its age so not a great deal of expense involved but enough and if I need to I have quite a stash of models I can sell off, stuff that I'll never build, especially now) so don't feel you have to "keep up with the Jones's" as we say. Just do your best and ask those of us here who have first hand experience with Mirages how they look. I'm sure we'll all give friendly you pointers and good advice on the subject. I cetainly won't critcise you for that.

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford

Hey Hey!!!

Thank you very much all of you :D

The tank I've made so far:

DSC08625_zps7678aea8.jpg

DSC08626_zps8fa83d8b.jpg

The end is just slaped on with bluetack.. And it still needs alot of work to become a finished tank :)

Oh it's not my Mirage, it's me fathers old one I'm useing for testbed for my conversions ;)

Thanks Jorge!!! thank you very very much, just what I need! :)

Cheers,

Mikkel

:D, That tank looks pretty good to me MIG Mikkel. From memory I think they were mounted a little further aft on our aircraft although I haven't had time to check any photos in Motty and Changa's book. Also from memory the dump valve on ours was forward; again I'd have to check. Ours also had the vertical fins on the ends of the horizontal fins so there are obviously different versions of these tanks just as there are different versions of the 500 litre tanks. I clearly remember getting a full load of fuel on my feet once from one of these tanks so it may be that I was doing a check further aft on the tank after I'd filled it.

Ross.