New Dragon SH-3D Sea King 1/72

Me too...especially to do the Apollo Recovery HS-4 helo's.

Stanton

If the pics and commnets re the HU5 Commando version are anything to go by, it might not be worth bothering with and stick with the very good Revell kit and some modification to a US Navy bird.

The Dragon kit has some serious issues, and is in many ways a lot less accurate than the 1980s Fujimi kits. The Revell kit is a nice model, but it's a long way from being a Sikorsky machine. It's a late build Westland Sea King, which has major differences from anything built by Sikorsky. There's really not that much wrong with the Fujimi kits.

My understanding is that you can combine bits from the Revell and Fujimi kits to get an acceptable (meaning not accurate down to the last rivet, but nice-looking) Sikorsky SH-3D (That's what I'm planning for my "66" build). And it might still be cheaper than the Dragon one, and you still have two kits...

I wanted to get the Commando, but the reviews put me off...

Checking the instructions at the link Robertas posted above, seems the main cabin configuration has nothing to do with the SH-3D I've seem... no sonar equipment, no console... at least was what I've seen in the main cabin of Brazilian Navy Sea Kings some years ago.

Cheers

Serelle

That is the same poor basic interior that they started with for the "Comando" (technically not the right name)version for which it appeared to be somewhat accurate but the seats are noticably underscale (only a foot wide using a scale ruler). Appears to be based on a British Westland interior. They gave the same interior for the AEW release which was of course not proper there and now for the US release where it is even less appropriate. Cyberhobby (Dragon have treated this kit poorly with this release really only adding the five blade tail rotor and a replica of a dipping sonar underneath in the hole (which is covered in the first two releases)but have left the same poor interior in all the kits,,,

Cheers

Bruce

• 4 months later...