Stiffeners of the Tomcat

I currently am working on getting the Trumpeter F14D Super Tomcat in the next couple of days and my Daco book hasn't arrived yet. But I am curious, does the F14 D model variant have stiffeners attached to them? Even though the F14 is my favorite type of fighter plane I am not familiar with the different types of model variants.

When I look at post of someone doing a F14a model I see them on the tails and the steps for the tomcat but when i look at the progress in build on the F14D variant I don't see anyone refering to any model stiffeners on the D variant at all. I was just wondering if I have to get the Delta Stiffeners for the D model variant because I don't want to waste my money to get them if they are not used on the D model if I don't have to. I hope this make sense. LOL

When I look at post of someone doing a F14a model I see them on the tails and the steps for the tomcat but when i look at the progress in build on the F14D variant I don't see anyone refering to any model stiffeners on the D variant at all. I was just wondering if I have to get the Delta Stiffeners for the D model variant because I don't want to waste my money to get them if they are not used on the D model if I don't have to. I hope this make sense. LOL

You're going to need to be more specific. The tail stiffeners were on all variants of the F-14, except for early block versions of the F-14A.

Also, check out my Tomcats 101 article:Tomcats 101

The stiffening plate around the RIO's boarding step was hit and miss on the F-14D and was BuNo specific.

Edited by VFA-103guy

Richard,

I don't have the Trumpeter 1/32 F-14 kits but the Tamiya 1/32 F-14A doesn't have the later tail stiffeners. Maybe you're confusing the Trumpeter and Tamiya kits? I did a quick Google search and looks like the Trumpeter kit already has the tail stiffener details.

Link to Cybermodeler in-box review:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tru/images/tru_3203_parts06.jpg

Edited by PlasticWeapons

Richard,

I don't have the Trumpeter 1/32 F-14 kits but the Tamiya 1/32 F-14A doesn't have the later tail stiffeners. Maybe you're confusing the Trumpeter and Tamiya kits? I did a quick Google search and looks like the Trumpeter kit already has the tail stiffener details.

Link to Cybermodeler in-box review:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tru/images/tru_3203_parts06.jpg

I believe it was talking about the Trumpeter Kits specifically, I was just wondering if the Trumpeter kits (Tomcat version D) alreeady had the tail stiffener. I am still very new to modeling and after reading all the info on the Tomcat and the specific Versons of the Tomcat (A,B D version) it is still confusing to me but i will catch up. I just wanted to make my D model as realistic as possible. Because I am going to post my in progress build in ARC and I don't want anyone to chew me out because of something that I added or didn't add to my D model you know what I mean. LOL.