Aires F14 B cockpit 1:32 scale for Tamiya

Does anybody know if the Aires F14 B cockpit for the Tamiya kit 1:32 scale will fit inside of the Trumpeter kit? Or do we have to do a lot of modifying to make it fit? I know that Aires sells a F14 A and a F14 D variant for the trumpeter but I don't think they sell one for the F14 B cockpit for Trumpeter.

I don't know if it will fit or how much work it would take, but is the F-14B cockpit by Aires even different from the A? At the very least it is an early B cockpit, no Sparrow hawk HUD, no PTD (PTID?), no LANTIRN/TARPS control panel either as far as I can tell (at least no control stick). I don't know if any of the panels and instruments that should be different actually are, anyone know more?

I am building my own F-14B cockpit for the Trumpeter kit right now, I can suggest you to get the DACO book "uncovering the Grumman F-14 A / B & D" with all of my heart, it is my very most valuable resource in that undertaking.

http://ultra.glo.be/daco/KDCB003.html

Another edit, I forgot to mention the Wolfpack Design F-14B cockpit for the Trumpeter kit. I can't say anything about it's accuracy though, but it's available.

Edited by Shadrik

Thanks for the info Shadrik. I do have the Daco book (just got it yesterday) and I havent had the chance to look at it yet but I will take a look at it tonight. I forget that Wolfpack designs sell a 1:32 scale B variant for the Trumpeter, I may have to check it out as well.

The -B Aires pit for the Tamiya kit is almost exactly the same as the one they make for the -A. It represents a very early -B and I think the only difference with their -A pit is one small subpanel on the PE sprue. If that's the configuration you want, you might as well get the -A pit for the Trumpeter kit. It should be pretty much the same, but fit the Trumpeter kit.

Edited by Dave Williams

The -B Aires pit for the Tamiya kit is almost exactly the same as the one they make for the -A. It represents a very early -B and I think the only difference with their -A pit is one small subpanel on the PE sprue. If that's the configuration you want, you might as well get the -A pit for the Trumpeter kit. It should be pretty much the same, but fit the Trumpeter kit.

Thanks Dave I will look into it when I get done with my D-variant. When I look at the DACO book in the B variant I see the cockpit is the same except for the RIO control stick for the LANTIRN pod located on the left console. Did the early B's have that control stick as well? I'm trying to get use the different Variant of the early B models. And the double chin pod which houses the TCS and IR sensor and the AN/ALQ antenna is only on the D variant isn't it? The F14 is my favorite fighter and I am working on a D model variant but I am about to do a B model variant when I am done and when you do models, I want everything to be right. It is a lot of research when it comes to Models.

Very interesting, is this also true for the entire layout? For example, the daco book shows the front B ip with a ALR-67 indicator to the right, UHF and VHF indicatores moved above it, the A doesn't. Were changes like those introduced later in the B and initially identical to the A?

The LANTIRN integration came later on as part of various mods to add A-G capability to the Tomcat. The early -B (known for a time as the A+) was just an -A with GE engines and configured for A-A only.

Only the -D had the dual chin pod.

Then the A-cokpit should work. Thanks for the info Dave

Very interesting, is this also true for the entire layout? For example, the daco book shows the front B ip with a ALR-67 indicator to the right, UHF and VHF indicatores moved above it, the A doesn't. Were changes like those introduced later in the B and initially identical to the A?

Very good question. I am looking at the DACO book as well and I see the same thing.