91% alcohol and putty

Ok, so I know around here the past couple of years we have been kicking about using putties in paste form. The gouge has been acetone, lacquer thinner, or Testors liquid cement to thin it. Ok fine, but as fast as putty dries, it dries even faster with a lacquer thinner or acetone. Also, if you have the putty solution (with acetone) in a Testors empty paint bottle like I did, you know that if you let it sit for a couple of weeks it will dry out, even in the bottle with the lid on securely.

So, I decided to give 91% alcohol a shot and it works. It thins the putty out nicely, and does not evaporate so fast. Try it. I am using it with Squadron Green/White, and Tamiya Basic Gray/White.

Edited by DutyCat

I use Tamiya lacquer thinner for everything from painting enamels and lacquers to thinning their basic putty. It smells the same, so I bet it's the base solvent in the putty. What I really like about the Tamiya product is that it is less volatile than regular lacquer thinners, it won't harm plastic (it has a slight bite) and it evaporates much slower. I've mixed some of it with the putty in a jar for months now and it's still liquid.

I use Tamiya lacquer thinner for everything from painting enamels and lacquers to thinning their basic putty. It smells the same, so I bet it's the base solvent in the putty. What I really like about the Tamiya product is that it is less volatile than regular lacquer thinners, it won't harm plastic (it has a slight bite) and it evaporates much slower. I've mixed some of it with the putty in a jar for months now and it's still liquid.

I am new to modeling and I have only done 2 1:32 scale models. But I am the the type of person that went and got all my materials before I stared modelling. I still have some things that I don't know the use of but I bought it becasue I have heard in this forum that is very useful. :whistle:/> Now I have every putty that you can imagine. I have green and white putty from squadron and every Tamiya putty available. I even bought the polishing compound becasue i see that chuck542z3 uses that on his canopy. BUT the question is why do you guys thin the putty anyway? Does it make it easier to put on a seam that needs to be filled? AND REMEMBER, I am new so I haven't learned all the tricks yet. I just wanted some more info on modelling because any new info will help me out. lol

BUT the question is why do you guys thin the putty anyway? Does it make it easier to put on a seam that needs to be filled? AND REMEMBER, I am new so I haven't learned all the tricks yet. I just wanted some more info on modelling because any new info will help me out. lol

You use it because it gives you more control and is a better approach in specific situations. For example, if you have a small, tight seam, a little bit of putty precisely applied with a paintbrush is better than a larger amount applied with a putty knife, or (God forbid) your fingers. Also, it is useful after major seam work to correct small errors, seam shadows, etc. Try it.

You use it because it gives you more control and is a better approach in specific situations. For example, if you have a small, tight seam, a little bit of putty precisely applied with a paintbrush is better than a larger amount applied with a putty knife, or (God forbid) your fingers. Also, it is useful after major seam work to correct small errors, seam shadows, etc. Try it.

Ok, now I got it and that makes sense. You think using 91% alcohol is better than lacquer? Maybe I will try both. I take it that you mix it up in a paint jar and keep the leftover or do you guys mix the putty as you need it? And when you apply it, it can be sanded afterwards when it dries without it being all pasty?