F-4 early wing tanks

Hello,

since the release of Academy's F-4B I'm excited by "early" Phantoms.

I would like to represent a Marines F-4B with the early more rounded wing tanks.

As far as I know there is no McDonnell 370 gallon wing tank available in 48scale, neither in a model kit nor as accessories kit?

I found a few threads here about the wing tanks and pylons but no detailed information about size and shape of the tanks.

Unfortunately I was not able to find some drawings and/or dimensions in the www...... :unsure:

Any help is highly appreciated!

Many thanks and best regards,

Jens

there is a 3/4 front view drawing in the Phantom in Action booklet,,,,,,it has the wing tanks labeled backwards, but, you can see the shape relationship

McDonnell tanks were 240 inches long, with Sgt Fletcher tanks at 260 inches, both were 370 gallon, so the McD tanks are slightly fatter in the mid section, and "keep their curve", they don't have that straight section that the Sgt Fletcher tanks have

if you can find a photo from the side (either side) of a wing tank with the rib at the midway point on both sides of that tank,,,,,that could be your pattern, there is a photo of a McD tank on an F-4G on the same page as the tank drawings

the only pattern I have would be in 1/72, there are McD tanks in the old Revell Thunderbirds and Blue Angels kits, you still need to cut the adapter off of the pylon yourself and contour to your new tanks

I hope this helped even a small amount

Rex

The Daco book has a number of good reference photos. Interestingly, the McD tanks are labelled Sgt Fletcher and the Sgt Fletcher ones Royal Jet...

After I've released the products currently in the works (incl. the H5 seats) I was going to look into the tank situation a bit more closely.

Jeffrey

I think the labeling error was just carried forward from the Squadron book

the Sgt Fletcher and Royal Jet labels could be because one of those companies bought the other, or they merged,,,,,,,,something like that

we used to call them the early and late tanks in the modeling world,,,,,but, the McD tanks show up into the late seventies on USMC aircraft

I just remembered that there are photos of the tank pylon without the Weapons adapter or the tank,,,,,,,in the Double Ugly USN volume

After I've released the products currently in the works (incl. the H5 seats) I was going to look into the tank situation a bit more closely.

Jeffrey

Well, this is the sentence I wanted to read!!

And I have no doubt that the quality will be as good as your F-4 stabs!

Thanks guys for your answers and your hints!

I have a couple of books (incl. the DACO book) about the Phantom II with a lot of information,

unfortunately no publication has any drawings of the McD tank.

But now I fully trust in Jeffrey.... :D/>

Best regards,

Jens

Jeffrey, if you don't have it,,,,,,the Squadron in Action book will be of some help to you, I think

they are only 3/4 angled,,,,but, the drawings would be of some help

I used those drawings to verify my own 1/72 tanks, along with the side view photos I mentioned

I used those drawings to verify my own 1/72 tanks,....

Any chance you can post your drawings? Have you made/cast any based on your drawings?

Wish someone like Jeffrey would do them in 1/72! I would think there'd be a larger market for 1/72 than 1/48!!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

no, Gene,,,,,,,I just verify my shapes when reworking the Revell tanks

I never did do a mold

I just make sure a pair is right, add the pipes according to the page you once sent me, cut pylons for the right curve without the adapter,,,,,,,,,and then I stopped

I want to do something like hoisting a tank up to its pylon with the weapons adapter on a trailer,,,,,but, I didn't get that far

I agree, someone that does resin as a pro would really help in any or all of the 1/72/48/32, more so if he also did the pylon and tank pipes