Hey Guys,

If I wanted to do an accurate version oh the A-26 used in SEA, what would be a good stating point? I know that there are a few aftermarket conversions out there, but wanted some above before I spent any cash. Thanks.

T.

In 1/48 your only real option is the Monogram kit. I think Ozmods (in Oz, oddly enough) does/did a set. And the Cutting Edge resin set will show up on eBay once in a while at stupidly high prices. Each set apparently has its own issues, but I don't know enough about them to give you any advice.

Hey Guys,

If I wanted to do an accurate version oh the A-26 used in SEA, what would be a good stating point? I know that there are a few aftermarket conversions out there, but wanted some above before I spent any cash. Thanks.

T.

The OOP Cutting Edge set remains the best and most complete conversion set. Reviewed at Hyperscale:

Review of Cutting Edge A-26A Nimrod conversion

Here's a discussion:

Britmodeller discussion A-26A Nimrod

You will need more than the wing tanks, props and eight gun nose provided in the Ozmods set. You will need wing pylons, nose and main wheels, new rudder, cockpit details, all those antennae and ordnance if you wish. I don't have the Ozmods set. I'd check the wing tip tanks for correct dimensions.

Don

If I wanted to do an accurate version oh the A-26.... Where do I begin?

You go to your local investment banker and get money to start your own model company. Once you've done that, you hire someone with an intimate knowledge of airplanes who is also a talented CAD designer. You pay him whatever amount of money you two agree on to design an accurate model of the A-26 (no such model exists currently)...

Sadly, Monogram's spectacularly mediocre effort put DML off of doing their previously announced On-Mark B-26K kit in 1993. Their corporate holiday card in 1992 even featured the box art for it. Even given their so-so fit problems of that era (witness their 1/48 Ju88), it would undoubtedly have been better than the Monogram monstrosity.

Sigh... the sexiest, prettiest, most sinister looking twin engined bomber ever, and we have no decent kit.

My experience with making a replica of the B-26K Counter Invader, is to start with the B-26C kit. Since this is all we have for now. Kit #5508, the glass nose version. Reason being the B-26B gun nose is harder to convert, being that it has the lower rear turret to fill. The glass nose version has this already deleted. Now I had the Paragon B-26K conversion set which includes, wing tanks, pylons, corrected blades, engine cowls and intakes, co-pilot seat and yoke, rudder, and tail vortex generators,the upper turret blanking plate and antenna's. Lacking are the correct wheels that are not in the set. The Counter Invader used Boeing 707 main wheels if I remember correctly. Don't recall if the CE set had the wheels. Have not seen the OZmod set so can't comment on that one. Also a set of Aeromaster B-26K decal sheet #48-338. I built this kit around 1998, with what ever info that was available. I was not aware of the different main wheels until long after I completed the project. It was the very first major conversion I ever attempted, cutting splicing and modifying a stock kit. When Neil restarted Paragon a few years ago reproducing some of his sets and new ones. Don't think he reproduced the B-26K set. Did watch out for it though. Haven't seen one on Ebay for a long time. In my opinion as cool as the CE set is, it seems that Les's approach to the conversion was less labor intensive. Either way there is some cutting to do. To answer your question this is just my opinion of how to make the best version of the Counter Invader, despite the kits that are available shortcomings. It's all we have for the time being.

P5040022.JPG

P3270009.JPG

P3270012.JPG

P3270013.JPG

Chuck

Fly Navy

Edited by uscusn

After a good nights sleep it dawned on me you are in Ohio, so you may find your way to the USAF museum I believe there is a Counter Invader there to look at. There is one at the Pima Air Museum in not to far away from me Tucson Az. Saw all the mods on the real thing that my model did not have. I will build another one some day. Only thing is finding the correct wheels

from Cutting Edge on Ebay. Unfortunately, my Invader did fall and broke beyond repair by the hands of someone not being careful. I saved all the pieces to rebuild it from scratch. Using a new kit. Got the kit, most of the parts the decals and better updated research now available. So once I feel I got everything I need to carry on and start to work on it. One of those long term builds.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Only thing is finding the correct wheels from Cutting Edge on Ebay.

Chuck,

Sorry to read about that your model was destroyed. Contact Roy Sutherland at Barracuda Studios. Link. A few years back, he had some very nice 1/48 A-26A props and wheels that he sold at the IPMS Nationals. I recall that these were a custom job. If he still has the masters, maybe you can convince to cast a few more sets.

Don

Chuck,

Sorry to read about that your model was destroyed. Contact Roy Sutherland at Barracuda Studios. Link. A few years back, he had some very nice 1/48 A-26A props and wheels that he sold at the IPMS Nationals. I recall that these were a custom job. If he still has the masters, maybe you can convince to cast a few more sets.

Don

Thanks for the link Don, I was able to salvage the blades so I'm good there. But the wheels is an excellent lead.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Huh .... who .... ????

:unsure:/>

doh!!! I must deeply apologize Neil. Especially with Led Zeppelin in your banner. Hope your forgive me for someone who has been a blessing in our modeling world.

Chuck

Fly Navy