Differences between F-86F-25 and F-86F-30?

I want to build a Peruvian F-86 Sabre in 1/72. According to the serial numbers, the aircraft provided to the FAP were F-86F-25-NH. All I could find were F-86F-30 kits and an F-86E, but in 1/48 (Italeri). I'd like to know if there were major differences between the F-25 and the F-30 (at least there were lots of differences between P-47D-25 and D-30) so I can just paint the F-30 in Peruvian markings. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

I want to build a Peruvian F-86 Sabre in 1/72. According to the serial numbers, the aircraft provided to the FAP were F-86F-25-NH. All I could find were F-86F-30 kits and an F-86E, but in 1/48 (Italeri). I'd like to know if there were major differences between the F-25 and the F-30 (at least there were lots of differences between P-47D-25 and D-30) so I can just paint the F-30 in Peruvian markings. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

No major differences in the -25 and -30 F model.

see; http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3901-4000/gal3914_F-86_Guevara/00.shtm

not sure if later in service, the wings would have been upgraded to longer span -40 wing. But upon delivery in the 50s the wing would be a 6-3 wing.

This pic shows a Sabre with what appears to be a F86F-40 wing( slatted 6-3, with extended wingspan). In 1/72, the fujimi JASDF Sabre fits this configuration, but I have no idea when the change would have occured.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1260536/

I'll keep looking,

Edit; there is an F86F on a pole in Arequipa, Peru. It appears to have a -40 wing as well. No luck as to when these Sabres were retrofitted with the long span -40 wing

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

I want to build a Peruvian F-86 Sabre in 1/72. José.

Found a couple of pics of Peruvian Sabres;

They have the F86F-40 wing:

F-86-lucas.jpg

F-86FSabre-parachute.jpg

The 1/72 Fujimi JASDF kit #F-18 or the 'Blue Impulse' kit #F-21 is the one you want for that wing.

Tony

José.

No major differences in the -25 and -30 F model.

see; http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3901-4000/gal3914_F-86_Guevara/00.shtm

not sure if later in service, the wings would have been upgraded to longer span -40 wing. But upon delivery in the 50s the wing would be a 6-3 wing.

This pic shows a Sabre with what appears to be a F86F-40 wing( slatted 6-3, with extended wingspan). In 1/72, the fujimi JASDF Sabre fits this configuration, but I have no idea when the change would have occured.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1260536/

I'll keep looking,

Edit; there is an F86F on a pole in Arequipa, Peru. It appears to have a -40 wing as well. No luck as to when these Sabres were retrofitted with the long span -40 wing

Tony

A vast majority of F-86 Sabres sold to Latin America were sold via the US Military Aid Program. Most MAP Sabres were former USAF aircraft that were refurbished and the F-86Es and F-86Fs were upgraded to the F-86F-40 wings before being shipped. Argentine Sabres were also upgraded with the -40 wings.

Oh, so they're F-40 wings... I thought they were the earlier F-86E wings, no way to know for sure unless we have a top view of the wing tips. I have the HobbyBoss F-40, I guess this kits sould work as well. Thanks for your replies. Best regards.

José.

*EDITED* It looks like it is actually a F-40 wing, see this picture:

F-865.jpg

Check the wings: The aileron looks a bit far from the wing tip, the earlier wings had the aileron reaching the wing tip, so F-40 is the one to use.

Edited by Zero Enna

Oh, so they're F-40 wings... I thought they were the earlier F-86E wings, no way to know for sure unless we have a top view of the wing tips. I have the HobbyBoss F-40, I guess this kits sould work as well. Thanks for your replies. Best regards.

José.

You could use the Hobbyboss F86F-40, but I can't get over the round belly that is part of that kit. The underside of the center section did not have the roundness that HobbyBoss gave the F86. I have a couple myself, but i don't know if i'll ever get around to using them.

I had a hunch that the Sabres were delivered as -40 upgradeed, I was searching for any alternative photo proof, and all I came up with was -40 wings.

Good luck on the build.

Cheers, Tony

I'm not aware of any MDP F-86s that left the US with anything other than the F-40 wing. If you can see the pitot tube, it's perfectly straight on the F-40 wing, wereas on all earlier wings it had a bend in it to clear the slat. As noted, the aileron extended onto the wing tip on the earlier wings, and the tip extension was outboard of the end of the aileron on the F-40 wing.

OK, now I know which kit to use... I also want to build a Pakistani Sabre as well... So many options so little time :(/> Thanks a lot for your replies. Best regards.

José.

Jose, you will have to check photos when you do your Pakistani Sabre, as they had a mixture of F86Fs and Canadair Sabre 6s. Things to look for are fuselage vents, different wings, ejection seats. Sabre 6s were ex-Luftwaffe and had the "sugar scoops" on the lower aft section.

Fun isn't it ??

Tony

Yep, the Sabre 6 wings were as long as the pre-40 hard edge 3-6 wing. The Hobbycraft Sabre mk. 6 kits are the only kits in 1/72 scale that have this wing, but you can replicate the mk 6 wing without the slats deployed by using an F-86E(M) or F-86F with the hard edge wing, removing the wing fence, filling in he panel lines along the leading edge, and re-scribing the wing slats. You can use the new mold Airfix F-86E(M) kits for this.

Edited by Johnopfor
  • 7 years later...
On 6/6/2013 at 5:43 PM, Zero Enna said:

José.

Sorry for arriving sooooo late. Just found this topic by Google Search.
May you so kindly to share those serial numbers? THX
This picture was taken at the USA, prior to delivery.

180_¿Ala A?_California.jpg

• 2 weeks later...