Been wanting to build an A-6E late TRAM for a long time and once Kinetic had this model out of the box, I was sold. I've done a pretty comprehensive comparison of the Kinetic and Revell kits, and my personal conclusion is that in almost every way, I would build the Kinetic over the Revell. YMVW but I'll include my breakdowns and thoughts as I go. In the interest of full disclosure, my company name - Fightertown Decals is on the Kinetic box for doing the decals. I have no stake in Kinetic that I feel bias my personal feelings.

BUILD LIST:

Kinetic A-6E TRAM

Fightertown Decals 48059 Booming Intruders

Eduard PE

Royal Resins wheels

Verlinden GRU-7 ejection seats

(other stuff as the build progresses)

IMG_9103_zps0dde8e93.jpg

Fuselage out of the box. Kinetic molded this intentionally to easy use of aftermarket for intakes.

IMG_8407_zps3cf589b9.jpg

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Starting off with the cockpit.

Although I tend to collect aftermarket cockpits, I'll take styrene plastic whenever possible. I don't like working with CA glue. The Kinetic cockpit is up to the standard of the Black Box cockpit as much as injection plastic allows. I know there are a few fictional details that got translated but I don't know the difference. I decided to sand off the instrument panels and replace with the Eduard color PE for this build. Normally, I'd prefer the 3D buttons and switches but the panels look really good and I'll take the flat trade off.

IMG_7725_zps2bbe4fe9.jpg

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

A little cockpit progress. Hollowed out the round pieces on the deck. Added rivet detail to the back wall. Kinda tough to see but tried to angle the light to catch it.

Using the phone camera so these aren't the best pictures but hopefully work well enough.

reardeck_zps8de294a8.jpg

Added a detail strip to the refueling probe. It's too wide and thick but I'll sand it down.

refueling_zps037d5ea7.jpg

A couple thousand $ actually. Fortunately, I've been able to to sell off a few hundred to friends to offset the cost ;)/>

But the benefit is I've got a few spares in case of mistakes.

Hahaha;)

Brian

I see what you did there :rolleyes:

Some wing and exhaust prep work. The exhaust is much like the Revell kit with the improvement that there is full exhaust ducting. Point Kinetic. And the aft end fits if you force it together but then there is a gap to the fuselage. It's looking like attaching the top and bottom sections to the body and then filling any seams on the exhaust. After seeing other people replace the exhaust with brass tube, I decided to do the same. I tried styrene but the tubes are too large and I only found brass tube that fit perfectly.

IMG_8365_zpsd1f2533e.jpg

Cutting away the plastic

IMG_8364_zpsb4a2c175.jpg

IMG_8363_zps90870baa.jpg

VA-165 501 final cruise. "Puff". As in 'Puff the magic dragon'

Ultimately it will be part of a larger diorama with a few VF-24 jets on Nimitz for their final 95/96 cruise.

Brian

In 1/48!? That's going to be an awesome sight!