Thud inbound to Palm Springs Air Museum

There were 12 or 13 F-105s at the Lackland Annex, most of which came from Hill AFB, Utah, when they were retired. One went to Centralia, Illinois, a couple of years ago. I wonder what happened to the rest of them?

Darwin

There were 12 or 13 F-105s at the Lackland Annex, most of which came from Hill AFB, Utah, when they were retired. One went to Centralia, Illinois, a couple of years ago. I wonder what happened to the rest of them?

Darwin

There were 10 actually, though there were a few more F-105's preserved at other places onbase. Coincidentally Steve Coker just posted the following about the Lackland 10 on the F-105 Group on Facebook:

Sorry for the "picture repeat"--only one I have. Here are the "Lackland 10" tail numbers and where they were moved to. Not sure on some. Feel free to comment and correct. Should be worthy of an article in Warbirds or some other aviation magazine. Probably won't see anything in any Air Force publication. Anyone live in San Antonio who can check Kelly AFB to see if any remain?

62-4318 Centralia, IL

62-4259 Warner Robbins, GA

62-4346 Dallas, TX

62-4353 Wichita, KS

61-0199 Tupelo, MS

61-0106 Topeka, KS

61-0108 Palm Springs, CA

62-4228 unknown

61-0115 unknown

62-4279 unknown

One went to Pampa, TX, and two went to Tallapoosa, Harrison Co., GA. If you "do the math," looks like all were saved from scrap.

Koen

Don't have the money or skill to replace panels or anything so I've been sealing things up best I can with metal tape to keep the bee's, birds and water out.

Kind of looks like it ready for the boneyard in these 2 pictures.

001_zps13e33c48.jpg

008_zps12407417.jpg

I'm putting on primer now to get it ready to paint.

001_zps95654f3b.jpg

004_zps0db14ae2.jpg

Mike

If you go to Google maps and type in Lackland AFB Lackland AFB zoom in between Knight Street and Craw Avenue and you will see nine of them that were there when the photo was taken. Also interesting just to scroll around and look at some of the other aircraft that are there, or were there.