It is like you say, just a valve. And as Crazy Snap Captain says, most of the reason is to fine tune the air pressure directly at the airbrush instead of reaching for the regulator on the compressor. And I agree with what the Captain says, in my experience, the relevance is a bit exaggerated. On the HP-CH, it works very well, because it feels well integrated. On Iwatas top of the line airbrush, the CM-C+, I felt it making the complete airbrush unbalanced. The ones supposed to be fitted between the brush and hose also add unwanted bulk, in my opinion. I prefere a table mounted regulator instead.

I don't know, I just purchased the G-MAC valve (by Grex) to hook up to all my Iwatas and my Harder and Steenbeck airbrush and all I can say is that I'm pretty happy I did. Not that I can't bend over and adjust at the compressor but it has made life simpler for me. I feel I have greater control over the flow now.

I got mine from here:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/grmiaircova.html

Rob

I have an HP-CH and find the MAC valve really useful. It means that you can keep the pressure from the compressor high (e.g. 25psi) so the air going INTO the airbrush is high pressure, but then dial down the air mixture coming OUT and it has much finer adjustment than the airbrush pressure knob.

The only thing I find a pain is that I get some pain leakage through the MAC valve itself which is really difficult to clean (and annoying!)

Chris