Alclad Agua Gloss

I was wondering if anyone out there has thinned this product... The bottle states that it is a lacquer, but when I used my Mr. Leveling Thinner it just got really thick like paste. Furthermore, I thought that the "aqua" meant that it is safe to use on top of acrylics, which is why I'm confused about the "lacquer" label it carries... I'm sure it will spray just fine out of the bottle, but I typically like my paint mixtures thinner than say Alclad's primer which I do use lacquer thinner to thin without any problems. Any info would be appreciated and if I figure out a solution I will let you all know!

***It doesn't smell as volatile as other lacquers either.

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

Distilled Water

while true it says "Alclad II Lacquer Patent Pending" in the blue part of the label,,,,,that is the company label, not the product's

just to the right of that, it says "Contains,,,Water, Propanols"

Thanks for the feedback Rex! I just noticed the water, propanols on the label.... I just mixed some up with 91% alcohol and it seems to have mixed pretty nicely.... I wanted to know before putting the stuff through my Badger Velocity AB! I looked up the definition of propanols : 1-Propanol is a primary alcohol with the formula CH3CH2CH2OH. This colorless liquid is also known as propan-1-ol, 1-propyl alcohol, n-propyl alcohol, n-propanol, or simply propanol. It is an isomer of isopropanol....

/Jesse

So, Jesse, you don't use Future? May I ask why?

I'm always curious as to why top-notch modelers (like yourself) use what you use - particularly as it pertains to paints and the such.

Thanks!

Rob

Hi Rob, you are much too kind. The reason is because I haven't taken the time to learn how to successfully spray it from my airbrush ;)/> I recently have been applying it with a hand brush for small parts, like cockpits, and it works like a charm.... However I am not brave enough to try it on the airframe!

/Jesse

Hello Frank. I'd say about 3:1 gloss:thinner plus a drop of acrylic retarder.... I noticed that it's easier to spray a light "wet" coat on with the mixture. Without thinning, the gloss seems to dry before it hits the plastic. HTH.

/Jesse