Four Zeros (Hasegawa 1/72)

My Hasegawa Zeros finished in recent weeks. More photos are available - just click the pictures below.

1. Nakajima A6M2-N (Rufe) D-105, Toko Naval Flying Group, Kiska Island, Aleutian Islands, summer 1942

2474.jpg

2480.jpg

2485.jpg

2490.jpg

2. Nakajima A6M2-N (Rufe) NI-119, 802 Kokutai, Emidj base on Jaluit island (Marshall Island), August 1943

2491.jpg

2497.jpg

2500.jpg

2505.jpg

3. Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero Model 32 (Hamp) T2-190, 204 Kokutai, Rabaul, summer 1943

2507.jpg

2509.jpg

2511.jpg

2515.jpg

2518.jpg

4. Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero Model 22 (Zeke) UI-105, 25 Koku Sentai, 251 Kokutai, Rabaul, May 1943. Flown by Hiroyoshi Nishizawa, the top ace of Japanese Navy (87 kills).

2519.jpg

2521.jpg

2524.jpg

2526.jpg

2529.jpg

What is your preferred method of highlighting the panel lines?

First of all, I don't use preshading. I find it ineffective with multi-layer camouflage plus decals. I prefer postshading.

After painting (plus some colour modulation with lighter shades in some areas) and decalling I postshade the model with some Gunze C101 Smoke Gray (or C183 Clear Gray Tone for more subtle effect, or a mix of the two). The Smoke Gray goes to the areas behind exhaust pipes, gun muzzles and shell ejector chutes too.

Then I apply a wash of gas-diluted Revell Black enamel, wiped off with almost-dry (just a smell of gas) kitchen towel. In hidden places, where I cannot reach with the towel, I apply a mist of gasoline with little brush or airbrush (much air, little gas, blown along the airflow of the plane).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Were they built the same time?

They were built in pairs. The Rufes were finished on 19th of March and Zekes on 12th of April. I like such "group builds" - currently I have full JoyPack of Spitfires on my workbench.