Mi-24 Hind Bibliography

Hi guys,

I was just (re)discovering the plastic modeling dimension of the Mi-24 in 72nd scale the other day, when the question appeared: ok, now where's a book on the Hind?

I did a quick search and came up with many results on A. Mladenov's 48 pages booklet and with not so many results on Y. Gordon's [nowadays expensive] effort from a few years back.

What would you recommend? Is there something else out there that details the many variants of the Hind in the first place and maybe also tells something about its combat record?

Cheers,

Niki

From a modellers standpoint the 4+ book on the Hind covers the various variants and has a good walkaround section.

From a historical standpoint, I've yet to find one (don't have the aforementioned Yefim Gordon one, always went for way too much money).

Considering we only just got a good book on the Cobra, one has to wonder how long will it take for one on the Hind to appear...

Look for a copy of Airtime Pubs. "Modern Battlefield Warplanes"; it has a good section on the Hind, an aggregation of articles that appeared in WAPJ and IAPR. It can usually be found for a very reasonable price at Half Price Books or Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Battlefield-Warplanes-David-Donald/dp/1880588765/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401319530&sr=1-1&keywords=modern+battlefield+warplanes

Edited by RotorheadTX

The Gordon/Komissarov book is probably the one to go for. I believe "Flugi" posted a review on FF a few years back, but for some obscure reason, FF won't let me access that review.

Mladenov's 48 page booklet? The Osprey "New Vanguard" series book on the Hind? That's a decent one as well. Obviously not as comprehensive as the other one (48 vs 190-ish pages), but it covers the main variants (also a little more up to date than the Gordon/Komissarov one) and the employment/combat record by air arms around the world, although not in terribly great detail (the Gordon/Komissarov book devotes more pages to the Soviet Hinds in Afghanistan than the Mladenov book on all of the combat record). Nice photos, too. The Gordon/Komissarov book has much more in the way of line drawings and detail pictures, though. And the profiles in the Mladenov book are, sorry to say, crap. Wrong shape, wrong details, and the colours seem spurious as well. They look more like caricatures of Hinds. I wonder whether the guy who did the profiles actually bothered to look at a Hind before setting to work. But the text and pics are okay. :thumbsup:

If you can't find the Gordon/Komissarov book for a decent price, the Mladenov one goes for little sums on Amazon Marketplace. Can't really go wrong there.

Each and everyone, thank you!

Very good tip on "Modern Battlefield Warplanes" containing WAPJ and IAPR articles' text :thumbsup:

Und ja, Moritz, I was just about to click the Buy Now button on the Osprey offering but then managed to get a quick glance inside the book and the readers reviews combined with the profile(s)... well, let's just say it prompted me to come here and look for advice.

I shall seek out all 4+, MBW and Gordon's "brick", check my budget and go from there.

Much obliged guys! :worship: