Approximately how long does it take Tamiya Basic Putty to dry? I'm using the "Puttying without Sanding" method in the T'n'T section, but I don't know how long I should wait until I scrub the putty off.

Any help is appreciated.

John

John

I read somewhere to wait 20 mins, but I pretty well rub mine off with (pure) acetone on a q-tip within 5 mins or so. I read pure acetone will melt your model but it ain't happeneed to me yet.

I usually find with this technique that 2-3 apply and rubs are needed plus a little light sanding often to get a good result (but perhaps I don't wait long enough for the stuff to dry?).

The other thing I do is put a small amount of Tamiya putty in a bottle top, mix in pure acetone and make a slurry I can paint into gaps - again, this usually requires sveral paintings to get it right & a little sanding.

I find it difficult to apply the putty straight from the tube cos it dries on my application tool so quick, so I end up with big blobs everywhere (hence my slurry technique).

cheers

Thommo

Along the same lines, have you guys ever thought of using Liquid Paper aka White-Out Correction Fluid (comes in a little jar with a little brush applicator) for smaller seams and lines that need to be filled? This stuff is great when you do not want to get really messy with putty for those smaller jobs. It goes on really smoothly and is VERY easily sanded to a smooth finish. Dries very quickly as well. Obviously, for larger gaps, it is not effective, but it is a great alternative for the final touches.

HTH

:(

Jamie

I have tried using White-Out on several different occasions, and the problem that I find with it is that, when used for small gaps and scratches, I usually wind up sanding it all off. Lately, I've been using MM Acryl (pick any color) for small scratches and gaps, and it works great.

The other thing I do is put a small amount of Tamiya putty in a bottle top, mix in pure acetone and make a slurry I can paint into gaps - again, this usually requires sveral paintings to get it right & a little sanding.

BTW, if you don't have any acetone handy, Testors Liquid Cement works well in a pinch to create a slurry mix. It also speeds up the drying time. :blink:

Approximately how long does it take Tamiya Basic Putty to dry? I'm using the "Puttying without Sanding" method in the T'n'T section, but I don't know how long I should wait until I scrub the putty off.

Any help is appreciated.

John

Are you referring to the regular Tamiya putty with an orange cap? I think it shrinks quite a lot, therefore I usually apply many layers letting each one dry a day or so.

GG

Let tamiya putty dry at least a day!!!!! If you let it dry for a shorter time, then when you sand it or use your technique, it will still be pretty soft, at least thats what I always get. So now I wait 24 hours for putty to dry.

So I should wait 1 day BEFORE I start scrubbing with Acetone? What if some putty got in areas where it is not needed? Still wait a day? Or apply Acetone within 10 minutes on that area?

Thanks,

John

Any help is appreciated.

John

:wave: In my experience let it dry for at least 4 hours and put a drop or two of

lacquer thinner to it make fine and easy to apply.