Help a noob! (first "real" model)

I just picked up an Academy F-15E 1/48 model yesterday, and looking for some help in making it look good. Not my first model, although this is the first I've done in many years. I'd like this one to look real nice and I'll be taking my time with everything.

My primary question is regarding painting. I bought two spray paints for the main fuselage color, a light and dark grey. The model on the box has a sort of two-tone camo of sorts, with large areas of both the dark and light grey. I'd like to emulate that look and was wondering how to best go about that. My thinking is to paint the entire body one color, then cut out some vinyl and place that on and paint the second color. Would something likely vinyl work OK as a mask or should I stick to tape? I figured vinyl would be easier since I can get large sheets and do it as one piece. I'm really just not sure what the best and easiest way to mask everything is. I understand the general concept of how it's done, just not the details.

Also, is it possible to cut the masking material when it's applied to the model, or should it only be cut on a separate surface?

I appreciate any help you folks can give me.

Hello,

Well I don't know if it will make things easier for you, but an F-15E is just one overall color, Gunship Grey. There are no two tone F-15E's, so if you would like to build one all you need is one color and none of the complicated masking. If you want to mask and do a two tone then I suggest using paper for a mask and silly putty. With the paper cut out the pattern you wish to use. Apply silly putty to the back of the paper using small bits and put your pattern on your model. Make sure any exposed area you do not want to paint is covered. You can use tape to cover areas you don't want painted while the paper will provide you a template. Since you are using a spray can try to paint in broad strokes holding the model still while you pass the can while spraying over the model. Don't paint straight on make several passes until you are happy with the coverage. If you can invest in a very inexpensive airbrush, it will work better. Good luck to you and welcome back to the hobby.

Hi there,

Firstly - welcome back to the hobby! And you picked a good model to jump in with.

Spray can painting can be tricky but should give you great results if you are patient. Your idea of spraying one color first, masking, and spaying the second colour is the way to go.

I'm a big supporter of primer - it helps keep the paint on the model, especially if you are going to be using paint masks.

A couple tips about spray cans - the finer the pigment the better. And what I mean is: you won't lose detail under a thick covering of paint. However, no matter what make sure to do light passes with the spray. The technique is - start the spray off the model, then pass the paint in a straight line across the model... then stop the paint off the model. You don't want to start or end the spray on the model.

Some guys swear by putting the paint bottle in hot water for a period before painting - I've never tried it so I will leave someone else to comment on that.

Make sure to wait a few days before masking to let the paint set and get rock hard. A good indicator is that the model does not smell anymore!

The vinyl should work for a mask but be sure to test the 'stickiness' of the stuff before you apply it to your freshly painted model. You don't want to take off the first layer of paint when you take the masks off!! This is why most use low tack hobby masking tape... its just safer. But I have also used vinyl masks with great success.

Hi Joey. you can go about this a couple of ways, paint the entire fusalage your lighter color first then hit it with your darker color next. The next way is paint your first color then mask off that color than spray your next, but the first way would be eaiser,as for cutting the mask cut it before hand you don't want to take a chance cutting it on the model. The hobby knife will leave behind gauges if you are to hard on the plastic, and one good slip with the knife and you have a big mess with your plane. I hope this helped you, Rob.

Edited by 71roadrunner426

Spray bombs can be a challange due to the lack of pressur and pattern control. I have always had the best luck with Tamiya Spray cans if you can find the right color (or one that is close enough).

As for your spraying session on a 1/48th F-15 model: I reccomend sticking a dowel up one or both of the afterburners to hold your model. This makes handling while spraying pretty nice and fingerprints off the surface. When done with your painting session, stick the dowel(s) in a vice while the paint cures.

:post1:

Yeah, I don't HAVE to do the two-tone, but I liked how it looked on the box model. I might try instead to paint a single color then weather it a bit with a brush, see how it turns out. Maybe use some black underneath in select spots for some contrast as well.

I'll play around with the vinyl and see how works. It might be too sticky, I dunno.

Thanks for the help folks.

Hi, I've just googled the model you're making and, if I've seen the correct boxart, it looks to me just like overexuberant shading on the artists part! I have the same on my Zvezda 1/72 KA52 Alligator that looks like it has a black stripe along the fuselage where the gun is but is just supposed to be a shadow. What does the model painting guide say?

I too started off this hobby using spray can (Tamiya). It's great for single colour, good coverage, cures rock hard overnight, and IMHO, absolutely does not require primer. Also, in my experience with spray can (which wasn't that much, admittedly), there's little point in laying down a different colour underneath since it will most likely be completely covered up. For two-tone/camo, it is possible, but it'll take a bit more planning. I used spray when I built my very first Hasegawa 1/72 F-15C. The method I used then was, I sprayed the darker grey patterns first, then masked with Blu Tack (or silly putty), then sprayed the lighter grey.

If you're serious with this hobby, I think it'll be worthwhile to invest in airbrush and compressor. You don't have to go crazy with these. Just get the no-brand cheap ones from eBay. I did. My airbrush cost me around $20, while the compressor cost me around $90.

HTH.

The paint guide is pretty vague about the main fuselage, it really only seems to go into detail regarding the smaller areas (cockpit and weapons, mostly).

I'll probably get an airbrush eventually. I already have a compressor, anyways.

The paint guide is pretty vague about the main fuselage, it really only seems to go into detail regarding the smaller areas (cockpit and weapons, mostly).

I'll probably get an airbrush eventually. I already have a compressor, anyways.

Hi. Usually the box art colour scheme and shading depiction by the artist is accentuated. You can search on the internet for a more accurate colour shade. Even one can notice a change in the shade of the tone depending on the time and weather/environmental condition at the time the photo is taken. Ultimately a judgement call is best to decide on the shade of colour to use. I do 1/144 scale and I mix my own using basic colours form Tamiya/Mr Hobby to get the shade that best suit the kit I am building as the specific colour you get from Tamiya/Mr Hobby can be a tad too dark for the scale I am doing. Since you already owned a compressor the next best thing is an airbrush to get you going. After all, even spray cans have limitation in that the paint will not be very consistent as the air propellant drops in the process of usage. With a compressor, you get consistent air pressure and more importantly air flow, the main determinant for a good paint finish. All the best and hope that you will renew your drive in the bobby. Best regards

If you are doing 1/48 scale then airbrushing even small parts like the cockpit panels landing gears and doors will present a good finish. Notwithstanding, paint brush can sometimes give a pretty good finish if the thinning is correct and the quality of the brush bristles are factors to consider, as in my case of 1/144 and perhaps 1/72 too.

Just a thought but have you considered painting an aggressor squadron F-15E colour scheme? Have a look on Google cos there's some great two tone mock Russian colour schemes and I'm sure you could get the decals to match!

Quick question as I start putting everything together: is there any reason why I can't wash the parts after some of them have been glued together? Just seems easier to do it after so I'm not handling every as much after washing. Plus, I was planning on wiping everything down with alcohol versus giving it a bath, I figured cleanup would be easier that way.

Just a thought but have you considered painting an aggressor squadron F-15E colour scheme? Have a look on Google cos there's some great two tone mock Russian colour schemes and I'm sure you could get the decals to match!

The aggressors don't fly F-15Es. Far too valuable a resource. They fly F-15C/Ds.

Quick question as I start putting everything together: is there any reason why I can't wash the parts after some of them have been glued together? Just seems easier to do it after so I'm not handling every as much after washing. Plus, I was planning on wiping everything down with alcohol versus giving it a bath, I figured cleanup would be easier that way.

Some people swear by washing the model in soapy water prior to painting. Personally, the only time I'd wash unpainted model/parts is after an intensive sanding session. Even then, I'd only rinse it under running tap for a couple of seconds.