3 Spitfires with the Stripes (AZmodel 1/72)

Three Spitfires LF.IX from AZmodel JoyPack, made together. I decided to have them all from Polish Air Force and with Invasion Stripes for the 70th Anniversary. Besides of that I tried to make them as different as possible - different squadrons, different shapes and condition of the stripes, one Spitfire has pointy rudder and other has no wheel disk covers. Things under wings are also different and include beer kegs of 'streamline' type used by 308 Sqn.

I have used 3 sets of Master cannon barrels and QuickBoost exhausts, 2 sets of QuickBoost masts (3 masts in a set, but one mast was broken as I have dropped a model upside down), 2 sets of Kora flat-disk wheels (not very good quality) and some details from CMR resin Spitfire - bombs with racks for WX-D and kegs for ZF-P. Racks for kegs were scratchbuilt with CMR ones as a template. The propellers have axes from brass tubes to let them turn easily for in-flight photos. Decals from various sets of Techmod (including the ones in Sword kits).

Feel free to click the photos to see more of them on my website.

1. ZF-P NH186, 308 Squadron PAF, Chailey, England, June 24, 1944. The kegs were used to bring beer to brothers in arms in Normandy. The plane was hit y flak and lost on September 11, 1944 near Nieuwdorp. F/O Jerzy Mazurkiewicz evaded capture and returned 6 weeks later assisted by Dutch Resistance.

2596.jpg

2603.jpg

2606.jpg

2608.jpg

2. WX-D MH712 "Pat", 302 Squadron PAF, autumn 1944. Pilot: W/O Henryk DygaƂa.

2610.jpg

2616.jpg

2619.jpg

2622.jpg

3. SZ-G NH342, Chailey, England, autumn 1944. Personal mount of G/Cpt Aleksander Gabszewicz (9,5 confirmed kills, 1,33 probables, 3 damages) from June to October 1944 has markings of 316 Sqn PAF, although she was not part of it. Gabszewicz was pilot (and commander) of 316 Sqn till June 1942, then Wing Commander/Flying of 2nd Polish Wing and finally the 1st Polish Wing. He was also attached to the Command of 131 Wing RAF in February 1944, leading the wing during the invasion of Normandy.

2623.jpg

2625.jpg

2629.jpg

2631.jpg

2635.jpg

What is your opinion on the AZ spitfires? They look accurate, but were they fun to build?

The AZ Spitfires are very good. I had some problems, but nothing very important.

The wingspan problem is well known (the wings are a bit too short), but it is not noticeable on the model without measuring it. The kit has "default" short wingtips and you have to cut them off to fit the standard ones. They are a bit more thick than the wing, so some filling, sanding and rescribing is required.

I also got gaps along upper wing to fuselage join lines. I have filled them with plastic strips, but in the future builds I'm going to glue upper parts of wing to fuselage and then add lower wing surface. This should solve the gaps problem, but I'm aware that the wingtips will be harder to finish.

I like rotating propellers and the prop axis is designed the way I don't like - you have to insert the prop before the fuselage halves are glued together. This causes problems with later painting. So I have changed the design and have mounted the prop on brass tube as the final step.

Landing gear mounting holes have to be enlarged a bit backwards to get accurate angle of main legs.

It would be nice to have wheels with flat disks in the kit. I had to use aftermarket ones in two of three builds (the remaining one's disks type is unknown, so I decided to use five-spoke wheels from the kit).