For the F-35, FS36076 is advised to be the closest in available colors.

The "correct" formal color code is supposedly FS36170, however no supplier have yet released this.

FS36118 is nowhere near those, as this color is too "blue" compared to the "engine gray"

For the F-35, FS36076 is advised to be the closest in available colors.

The "correct" formal color code is supposedly FS36170, however no supplier have yet released this.

FS36118 is nowhere near those, as this color is too "blue" compared to the "engine gray"

Who offers 36076? That is pretty close to 36081 Euro 1 gray.

FS36134 indeed looks pretty close. I was not able to compare them side by side since they are on the same page of the fan deck.

Note that the German standard color RAL 7039 (Quarzgrau) is also a pretty good match to FS36170, too. I compared the colors using the latest FS 595c and RAL K7 fan decks, and the difference is barely perceptible to my eye.

I've had two attempts to try and match this paint both using mixes of Xtracolor enamels and Humbrol metalcote polished aluminium. The first try is the 'OT' coded F-16 using FS36118 gunship grey as the base. The second is the Air Guard bird using RAL 7012 as the base.

I know this isn't very scientific but here is a shot of both with the actual 36170 Colour chip on the wing. I think the RAL grey is getting closer....

mhu-111B016_zpsf1588724.jpg

mhu-111B019_zps4c2ab9a9.jpg

Cheers,

Haydn.