CF-100 Clunk questions

Hello all,

With the Astra 1/72 CF-100 kit and Canuck decals now in my possession, I've been doing some research on the aircraft I'll be doing and am a bit stuck on a couple of details.

I will be building mine as a European based Mk.IV in camouflage.

There is a structure just behind the shell ejection ports on the gun pack, which I'm presuming is some sort of deflector to keep spent shells from bouncing against the fuselage further back. Most pictures of the Mk.IV that I can find seem to have it in place, but I've seen a few that look not to have it.

Going by this picture, of a museum bird granted, it looks bolted on:

FuseLowerFrontPortDetail.jpg

net photo

Was it removable and only used under specific situations? If so, what were those situations?

Also, the FOD grills in the intakes don't seem to be on every picture of a Mk.IV that I can find. Was there a rule for them as well?

Thanks in advance

THe Mk V did not have the gun pack at all. They went with rockets. The IV did. Unless it was modified late in service for use with 414(EW) squadron. Then the guns were removed.

THe Mk V did not have the gun pack at all. They went with rockets. The IV did. Unless it was modified late in service for use with 414(EW) squadron. Then the guns were removed.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware the Mk.V did not have the gun pack; but did all Mk.IV aircraft have that structure just behind the shell ejection ports?

Was that structure permanent or removable?

Basically, can I build a Mk.IV without it and still be accurate?

You are correct, they are deflector plates for the spent casings and belt links. They were fitted to all Mk. 4 aircraft. I looked through Bob Baglow's book "Canucks Unlimited", Jim Lyzun's book "Canadian Profile: CF-100 Canuck", and Larry Milberry's book "The Avro CF-100" and all of the later Mk.4's had them installed. I saw one picture of an early Mk.4 (pointed nose cone) without them. Even target tugs still had them installed (page-19 Jim Lyzun). Is it possible some 4's didn't have them? Sure. But it looks to be a fairly rare occurrence.

HTH

Regards,

Don

EDIT: Looks like they were fitted to Mk.3B's as well. Not that it matters for your project though.

Edited by Don