AV-8B DA/NA/B+ airbrake inquiry

When a Harrier II jet is parked and engine off, is the airbrake always on deployed position? Is it due to gravity or the abscence of hydraulics that causes it to be deployed?

Any photos showing it retracted while parked?

Edited by snickers

Hello,

Not sure but if I remember correctly airbrakes are somehow linked with landing gears on Harriers.

They should be deployed whenever landing gears are down.

Cheers

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

I understand that the airbrake and guns form an "airpocket" that is beneficial to the hovering process such that even if the guns are off they mount the replacement fillets that perform the same duties, so that the airbrake is down to cause this effect...

If airbrakes are deployed when parked, it's going to be additional work for us modellers to work on the airbrake part of the model kit. Only on the big scale kits that you do not need to work on that issue. Well, challenges are part of scale modelling!

Hi,

If airbrakes are deployed when parked, it's going to be additional work for us modellers to work on the airbrake part of the model kit. Only on the big scale kits that you do not need to work on that issue. Well, challenges are part of scale modelling!

Are you working on the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale kit.

If so, yes that is a one of the shortcomings of their kit, though all my Harriers IIs where built from that model...

Note : Aires/quickboost have released a 1/72nd scale Harrier II airbrake in resin form.

Please allow me a link to may Hasegawa Harriers iis here on ARC - You can se the USMC lachine airbrake deployed (same but not showing beneath the RAF aircraft)

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=193792&st=0&p=1815830&hl=harrier&fromsearch=1entry1815830

Though I'd seen some photos hovering but the airbrakes retracted.

Until now I am been able to find Harrier IIs hovering with airbrake retracted , but all are gear up (and vice versa). But I have no access to technical data and I stand to be corrected. I am been writing from memory only.

Cheers

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

The speed brakes are not linked to the landing gear in any way. There is a seperate switch. Pilots, contrary to popular belief, pilots are not the smartest critters on this planet and make mistakes more often than you might think. Which ever way you decide to build your kit it will be right. When in doubt, blame the pilot.

Edited by Aggressor01

The speed brakes are not linked to the landing gear in any way. There is a seperate switch. Pilots, contrary to popular belief, pilots are not the smartest critters on this planet and make mistakes more often than you might think. Which ever way you decide to build your kit it will be right. When in doubt, blame the pilot.

Dwight-Schrute-Thats-Very-True.gif

So Aggressor01, I also noticed on F-18s that almost all have their flaps lowered when parked. Which I rarely see Harriers with flaps lowered when they are parked on tarmacs or on ships. So as on F-15s, F-16s and few.

I just thought that it was gravity and no hydraulics that lower the airbrake when parked. Though I'd never seen a photo with the airbrake up while parked.

You will get some "droop" from gravity and lack of hydraulic pressure. The mechs will "usually" and I use that term loosely, raise the speed brake when they change the engine. After a few days it sags but only a couple inches. As for the hornets they lower the flaps, ailerons, and hor. stabs for maintenance purposes. I've witnessed some harrier pilots do some dumb stuff but they have the coolest landings. The best from test pilots at China Lake.