simply buy a MAC and forget Windows ever existed.

If you haven't used a Mac before I would highly recommend trying it first. While the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field is waning it's still in effect and there are legitimate problems and gripes with OS X and iOS. Don't expect a trouble-free existence with apple. I'm an IT consultant that supports both, for what it's worth.

2) Wait 3 years for the major bugs to be worked out and switch reluctantly because everything you want to run uses the new DirectX.

Generally the majority of the bugs are worked out with Service Pack 1, which comes out *generally* a year after initial release. There word that this is changing with Win10 and it might not be applicable, but I'd say that the year waiting period mentioned earlier should be good for those who want to be cautious. There's not the same big leap up with Win10 that there was in Vista, so the fact that the majority of the Vista crashes were caused by "lazy" hardware manufacturers shouldn't be as much of a repeat concern.

On a semi-related topic, in the last few weeks, my PC has been acting up. Very slow to open windows, sometimes it freezes. I've tried the system tools (defrag, disk cleanup), no change. Task manager is showing very high memory usage even when nothing is running.

Sounds a little bit like malware to me - what anti-virus and malware scanners are you running?

There will also be the ability to let PC and Xbox gamers play multiplayer together as well.

I have mixed feelings like this. As a PC gamer, the idea of a mass group of targets that can't keep up with me is appealing on the days that I just want easy, fun play, but on the other hand I have friends who just have games on consoles like the XBox and there are times when it'd be nice to be able to play online with them even if they'd have a harder time keeping up.

I don't see any downside to having Windows do automatic updates. Is there a reason why someone would not want to have their PC running an updated OS?

Well, sometimes updates break things, so it's nice to be able to schedule things or push back a bit if it wants to apply updates in the middle of a large project. That said, as a long-time IT administrator most people are going to hit "ignore" given the opportunity, so I'm in favor of moderate pushing. Google has broken some stuff with Chrome updates and their attitude is to not really care, so forcing updates isn't always golden rays of sunshine and unicorns.

Sounds a little bit like malware to me - what anti-virus and malware scanners are you running?

Running Avast! (free version) and malwarebytes. I thought the same, did full scans, no hits. Can't figure it out....

We have 12 computers at home with two separate networks including two separate servers, double routers and a DMZ. I am the "lucky" sysadm. The grownup network is now phasing out XP which thus becomes my LAST Microsoft OS... I've worked with MS products (at work and at home/own business) since 1987 - and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of MS is a classical one-liner: "Microsoft - makes the grass grow green" :bandhead2:/> . In the grownup net we have two PC with XP SP3 that drive legacy equipment; one of these drives my Oki DP-5000 and the other one a peculiar kind of scanner.

ALL servers and DMZ are Linux-powered; laptops too. Tablets & phones are Android. The second net has two Win7 one's my daughter's gamer watercooled monster and the other my partner's terminal. Both of them have been schooled into GNU office- and graphics applications. :thumbsup:/>

Why pay Crapsoft for badly written software when you can replace it with far better written equivalent GNU applications for free?!?? If it wasn't for the huge size of the corp ("too big to fail" comes to mind) and the maffia business tactics they use they would have gone away a LOOONG time ago. "Free market"?... HA! :soapbox:/>

Cheers, Moggy the techno-fetishist

far better written equivalent GNU applications for free?!??

Anyone who has that hard line of an opinion is setting themselves up for failure (*edit* or at least obsolescence and more problems down the road). Each OS and form factor has its strengths and weaknesses. Keeping on top of them all is more than most people want to deal with and I don't think that's an invalid desire to have, but Android is a crapfest of its own. Oracle's "unbreakable" Linux seems designed to drive people towards their support contracts. iOS 6 when released broke so many features that the windows phone subreddit was full of people jumping ship.

Apple, Google, and Microsoft are not our friends - they are companies that make tools that might do what you want them to. Open Source software may start with a better philosophy, but it has its own share of bugs and missing features. Nothing has a lock on being "the best."

Edited by Tracy White