How to's on inserts, doors, speedbrakes, etc?

This has bugged me for awhile...are there any good how to's on installing things like closed speedbrakes, Hasegawa's numerous inserts, gear doors, closed panels, etc?

There's a million on how to do fuselage seams, but nothing on how to preserve the panel lines that naturally occur at the joint, eliminating steps, or rescribing the complicated boundaries after filling a big mismatch....

TIA!

If the panels are a decent fit (as are most of the Hasegawa ones I've come across), my usual MO is to cut away the inside detail altogether: you can position the fitted panel flush with the outer surface most easily if you can access the back side. A couple of styrene strips glued behind it will keep it secure.

Anything that does not fit the aperture too well is like any other problem area; just get it as close as possible, fill any gaps with cyano adhesive, sand and scribe using Dymo tape as a guide. AFAIK, cyanoacrylate glue is the best filling medium to scribe into without it dragging (styrene glue) or crumbling (putty) under the scriber.

HTH.

I do a lot of in-flight aircraft, meaning that I have to close up the gear doors. I shoot the gear wells, speed brake wells, etc. with non-expanding/minimal expanding foam insulation. After it dries, use a hobby knife and trim the foam down so that it sticks out just a little bit so you can easily push the part into place. Then, glue the part into place. I usually put some tape along the edge where the parts meet, so your glue will work. I use a product called DAP-TEX. The nice thing about this particular product is that it cleans up with soap and water. You can clean out the applicator tube and put the applicator head part of the can under tap water and the stuff comes right off. Make sure that you clean it up right after application. Don't let it dry. It's available at any Lowe's or Home Depot home improvement type stores. Wally World type stores also carry the stuff. Good Luck.

Those are great tips, especially cutting out the inside detail...

I'll look for that foam too - sounds way better than trying to float something in there.

Thanks!

You don't need to cut off all the internal detail - just drill a few holes. Use styrene rod to put the part out to the correct location, and then glue the rods in to help keep it there.

vOWxGBJ.jpg