Identify this WW2 equipment

Me and a couple of friends visited Normandie in the beginning of August and for the second time we visited the Overlord museum in Colleville-sur-mer.

Also for the second time i saw the equipment below and i have no idea what it is.

Any of you know what it is?

None of the signs nearby gave any hints.

Thanks in advance guys.

qzmI0RY.jpg

Edited by streetstream

The seat was meant for someone to sit on... :whistle:

The bogeys had pneumatic brakes, and the rear one hand a manual emergency brake which could be operated by the lever in front of the seat. Probably not the most liked job, sitting there while underway. What the spools are for, no idea. Maybe airhoses?

That it was possibly something to tow out stuck tanks or trucks from the surf. I didn't even pick up on the camo. I dumb.

I was trying to link the axle to the bomb displayed underneath it, so yours isn't as dumb as you may believe.

The seat was meant for someone to sit on... :whistle:/>

The bogeys had pneumatic brakes, and the rear one hand a manual emergency brake which could be operated by the lever in front of the seat. Probably not the most liked job, sitting there while underway. What the spools are for, no idea. Maybe airhoses?

I don't know for sure, but being an Army Signal guy those look like commo wire reels.

Thanks.

Any idea what the little seat does and what the 2 big spools are for?

The two big spools were actually used for small-diameter water hoses for fun between tank-plinking. They would roll them up using the cranks on the side. In the boxes just forward of the spools housed the sprinklers. A fun-filled flak crew is a happy flak crew. :rofl:

Edited by Wizard_rkt

The two big spools were actually used for small-diameter water hoses for fun between tank-plinking. They would roll them up using the cranks on the side. In the boxes just forward of the spools housed the sprinklers. A fun-filled flak crew is a happy flak crew. :rofl:/>

I thought they were part of the beer distribution system...

In reality the 88 was originally designed as an AA weapon and was part of an integrated AA system in which multiple guns could be centrally controlled through a director. The guns were wired to the central director using the cables on the reels.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

The seat was meant for someone to sit on... :whistle:/>

it's the rear limber for either a Flak 36 (or one of the 88mm family), or the 150mm howitzer, or the 170mm howitzer. The spools are for commo wire

gary