Back to the sea! This time with Italeri KA-6D that will be done as an A-6A of VA-52 using Fujimi decals.

DSCN4575.JPG

DSCN4576.JPG

In the box there are actually two Italeri Intruders, an KA-6D and A-6E, plus some leftovers from Fujimi A-6A and A-6E.

Another build I'm excited to start :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally gotten around to doing some work on the Intruder. Apparently there are quite a few differences between an KA-6D and A-6A ;)

I've managed to found some pics of VA-52 Intruders here: My link The ones that are of interest to me are from 1969 - probably only few months older than the timeframe I'd like to depict :)

There's also an interesting article on A-6 differences here: My link

I'll add some pics in the morning, when I'll sort them :)

I had some trouble with those decals when I built my Fujimi A-6 about 10 years ago (oh my God, has it been that long?!!). They were pretty thick, and I made the mistake of applying them and then giving the model a wash. The wash collected around the clear edge of each decal and the result looked horrible. If I were to do this again I would dissolve the thick coat of adhesive on each decal by dipping them in hot water. Learn from my mistake :D

Thanks for the tip! I actually did use part of this decal set on a Fujimi A-6A, but didn't apply any wash. Something to keep in mind.

After I checked my refs, and made a thorough look at the model I've decided to use the A-6E as a basis. Not that Italeri KA-6D and A-6E are that different. KA-6D has only the IFR hose instalation.

DSCN4599.JPG

On this picture You can also see the outer pylons with DECM antennae. They are however not present on my jet (and I can use the A-6E pylons and save those for a future A-6A :) )

A-6E has the bulge with chaff/flare buckets. The jet I'm modeling didn't have those, so I'll fill them and add part of the bulge that was cut back.

DSCN4601.JPG

Wings are extactly the same:

DSCN4600.JPG

Can You see the antennae on the lower part of the inner wing? This has to go.

DSCN4605.JPG

Like this :D

DSCN4607.JPG

I've filled the gaps with miliput, and added the longer lex strakes.

Back on the first pic in this post there are also the proper fuselage airbrakes. I'm saving these for some other time.

I've used them as a template to drill the solid plates that are present in an A-6E box and went on to drill the holes.

DSCN4602.JPG

There, I almost got it :pray:

DSCN4604.JPG

:yahoo:

I've also decided to add a fairing over the tailhook that's present on early A-6's and begun reconstruction of the bulge.

DSCN4608.JPG

Currently, the cockpit is painted up. It's incorrect, as it has an A-6e's IP, but it'll have to do. My Intruder is taking shape :)

DSCN4606.JPG

Well Sebastijan, I know I'll be watching Your build with interest :)

RKic, guide like the one I've found are a lifesavers. I wouldn't find all those differences by myself. Unless of course I would only when the model was finished.

During the weekend I've managed to do some filling and sanding. I didn't remember this kit needed that much putty.

One more thing I did, was adding the armour (?) plates around the engines.

DSCN4616.JPG

On the kit the're non existent. So I've traced them with some masking tape, and then transfered onto the 0,25mm plastic card.

DSCN4615.JPG

and Voila!

DSCN4617.JPG

There is still some work to be done before paiting, but I'm slowly getting there :) Thanks a lot for stopping by!

• 4 weeks later...

So there I was almost ready for the painting stage when I took a quick look at my old Fujimi A-6A. What caught my attention were the strip on the leading edge of wing extension. Apparently I've made mine a little too long. I'm still checking pics though.

IMG_0284.JPG

Here's my old A-6A, using exactly the same decal sheet as now. Back then I didn't know anything about A-6 variants.

IMG_0285.JPG

And my new A-6A (I hope ;)/> ). That stall strip is the only thing keeping me from painting this beast.

Have You noticed how the inboard wing fence on the Fujimi A-6A is placed, in comparison to the Italeri kit - an A-6E? I find it quite funny actually :)/> Something to remember whenever I'll be building an A-6E ;)/>

I wish You guys and gals a great modeling weekend :)/>

Edited by Thadeus
  • 2 months later...

Intruder is back in action. It recieved some well deserved paint...

IMG_0443.JPG

... and decals.

IMG_0446.JPG

Those Fujimi decals were quite thick, but I managed to soften them a bit with micro sol. Only unit specific decals were from Fujimi, except for the NoSteps, the rest: intake warning, rescue arrows, national insignia and so on, were from Italeri KA-6D sheet.

Gotta say, I'm not 100% sold on that yellow stripe on the leading edge of the intake.

This shot from seaforces.org contrdicts the Fujimi version. It's from 1970 apparently. Still, there's possibility, that leading edge was repainted sometime during the cruise, or after.

For now, yellow stays. I have to add, or paint black walkways on wings, and then weather the beast.

The yellow/brownish on the leading edges was a 6inch anti rain erosion tape. I don't recall seeing it during that time period, it is more typical of 1980s. I wouldn't trust fujimi painting or decals.

In Vietnam the leading edges were standard grey/white except for earlier ones that had corogard (silverish) on them.

Here's the actual one I think the kit is trying to recreate:

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VA/Attack-Squadron-52-Dateien/image156.jpg

Intakes lips were black, leading edges on surfaces were grey/white.

Edited by ziggyfoos

Thanks for the info. Looking at those two pictures of 154133, You are probably correct. I always assumed, yellow on the leading edges just didn't show up on black and white photos. Or the early color ones for that matter. Didn't think before about black intake lip. It's a shame the only pics are out there are black and white :( Still, it's much better than nothing.

So I guess I'm off to the paint barn, eh? ;)

Cruise book has some color, here's some:

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv43-69/291.htm

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv43-69/130.htm

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv43-69/124.htm

Like like the leading edge of the slats may be corogard? Radome looks overall grey too. Interesting too in that b/w pic from previous link the front wheel hub isn't white.

Great thanks for the links!

As for the slats that first pic You've posted seems to support this. Looks like corogard to me. Unless there was some variation between the airframes...

While looking at the cruise book, I've noticed some Intruders had black radomes. NL 403 NL 411. It seems 411 is also in the third link You've posted. Radome replacement? And that intake lip, it wasn't black. Or perhaps it's a new airframe, a replacement for a combat loss?

Still, looking at the pics of 154133 It seems like the radome was in a different color than topside gray. Of course I might be seeing things that are not there. I don't see anything resembling corogard on the wing LE of 154133. From what I see, it's not present on pylon LE. But then again, it's not really conclusive.

So I guess, I'll have to think about that radome. A darkened 36440? I really liked the idea of an A-6 with cream coloured radome...

I'd suspect the original black radomes were painted grey at some point during or immediately prior to that cruise (154xxx series originally would've had black noses new). This would also explain why the greys don't match - radome is a different material than airframe, and different and fresher paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Success! I've managed to repaint the radome, intake lip and wing leading edges. I'm extremely pleased to report no decals were harmed in the process.

IMG_0452.JPG

I've decided to add a drop of black to the radome color, so it would look a little different to the rest of the airframe.

IMG_0454.JPG

I still have to paint the walkways... maybe later? ;)

Thanks a lot guys. My Intruder is steadilly getting to the finish line.

I'm wondering should I do the thermal coating on mk83's? I can't find any info on the year they started to show up in the fleet. Most of the pics of armed Intruders I've found are from 1967.

I'm wondering should I do the thermal coating on mk83's? I can't find any info on the year they started to show up in the fleet. Most of the pics of armed Intruders I've found are from 1967.

No. Forrestal fire already happened but Enterprise fire was in 69. You can see bomb examples in the cruise book linked to previously too that they're not coated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this one is done also :) Unfrotnatly Fujimi decals have silvered quite badly. Weird thing is that it doesn't show on the pics.

DSCN4782.JPG

DSCN4783.JPG

DSCN4784.JPG

DSCN4785.JPG

DSCN4786.JPG

DSCN4787.JPG

DSCN4788.JPG

DSCN4789.JPG

DSCN4790.JPG

So I guess that's all from me :) I'm off to work on my 1:32 scale Hornet.

Thanks for stopping by, and guys, great thanks for all the help!