1st Air Force MOH since Vietnam?

The USAF is considering awarding the Medal of Honor to Tech Sgt John Chapman who was killed during the opening phase of "Chinook Down", in Afghanistan, back in 2002. New video evidence seems to indicate that Chapman wasn't killed during the initial stage of the battle but instead was wounded and then left behind on the mountain top when his SEAL Team 6 comrades retreated after being ambushed. Tough way to go....

I find it a bit interesting that the article focuses on Chapman being left behind while in reality, another SEAL was left behind earlier in the mission - Neil Roberts who fell out of a Chinook when it was hit by enemy fire. Although not discussed in detail, many reports indicated Roberts survived the fall and also fought on alone until being killed by Al Qaeda fighters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/world/asia/seal-team-6-afghanistan-man-left-for-dead.html?google_editors_picks=true&_r=1&_r=0

Interesting that they'd go back so far and review this. Because I saw the medal system so screwed up during my time in the AF, I hope this one gets done right and the proper recognition is made.

I do remember this mission though. I worked with Neal Roberts when he was with Team 2. During the Balkans missions, we were TDY to Brindisi/San Vito AS in the boot heel of Italy.

Nice guy. He treated people with respect, at every level.

They were very stingy with the Medal of Honor the first 6 or 7 years of GWOT and the stats backed up that assertion. They would often give high place medals but stop short of the MoH. I think a lot of those need to be reviewed

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I can't say that I have any issue with them being stingy... I would rather that than "MOHs for all my friends". I am happy that they are going back to review it. No issues with a second look. Some services and commands have a problem with rolling out the medal cannon for everything though. It is hard to strike the balance between devaluing an award and properly recognizing accomplishments of your men.

That was a bit of a ramble.

Dave

Edited by parche

Thanks for posting this up 11BEE. We need more Real-reality television programs and movies about true heroes. The contrived reality programs are numbing the minds of the viewers. Thanks again for the post.

Jager