Update: 

Finally just about ready to lay down a topcoat and begin decaling. Fixed the mistakes with the wingtips and added the light grey bit on the rightside vertical stab (you'll see what I mean). 

8MZOota.jpg

yYurglp.jpg

muY8rhe.jpg

Overall pretty decent, but there was, somehow, some paint bleed under the masking tape! 

boDYOZ0.jpg

And also some peeling from the masking tape on my precious CAMO! 

z0eiao0.jpg

Beginning to feel like every step forward I take, another step back occurs. Likely going to just finish this build up as is and call the damaged bits "weathering". Not giving up, but really want to move past this guy and put it on display. It does still look really good overall, but the minor mess ups screw with my head. 

Next: touch ups and top coat, then decals. 

Stay Tuned....

The Camo scheme is really looking quite good. Believe me, I feel you pain and frustration when paint is pulled up. More then just masking and repainting is required so that the patch work can't be seen once done.

Joel

• 2 months later...

Update: 

Exhausts are in the painting process!

Ag9TSne.jpg

US5E18l.jpg

dNXvHZJ.jpg

xDSOdXl.jpg

First Coat of Alclad Steel and a little bit of Stainless Steel: 

6vcZrPD.jpg

ixcl1f4.jpg

md1CDrR.jpg

I will be clear coating this, and doing a variety of hotmetal shades and colors, mainly red and blue for heat stains. 

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Your NMF really looks quite good.  I've masked directly over Alcad with detacked Tamiya tape and never had a problem. The less Clear Coats you apply, the closer to real metal it will look like.

Joel

Thanks! I have found it is ALL in the gloss coat you lay down first. if its smooth, the NMF comes out really nice. 

As far as taping, how de-tacked does the tape need to be? I really would ratherf not have to restart all this because I get lifting. 

1 hour ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Thanks! I have found it is ALL in the gloss coat you lay down first. if its smooth, the NMF comes out really nice. 

As far as taping, how de-tacked does the tape need to be? I really would ratherf not have to restart all this because I get lifting. 

Flyboy3394

All I really do is run it over the back of my hand twice. Never had an issue. Watch, next time I need to mask Alcad: DISASTER 

Joel

pdate: Exhaust

Added some heat stain coloration today (Alclad Hotmetal red/blue):

p1Ctwl4.jpg

P763Ade.jpg

The reds and blues came out a bit too dark, so I went over it with some Aclad Stainless Steel:

AmMoa0q.jpg

QeCDzpl.jpg

Next up is fixing the broken off wingtips and then FINALLY clear coating, decaling, and washing. Jesus its been a long road with this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Got it clear coated, and decaled! 

mOAUlxB.jpg

mQPer05.jpg

CK3GGdG.jpg

tQf0F5z.jpg

0xogvUR.jpg

TAWWYTR.jpg

Looking pretty good overall. The wingtip stations continually break off, so I recently glued them back on and did a rough paint job over them. Hopefully i can find a way to make the bad paintjob and clean break less noticable on the final product. 

From here, its just enamel wash, gluing on weapon stations and missiles, and a final dull coat to seal it all up! 

Anyone have a good suggestion for a mount I could use for this? Its in gear up configuration, so I need it to be in flgiht on my shelf! 

Flyboy3394,

look'in real good. Decals came out perfect.

When I have issues with small parts continually breaking off like antennas (WWII aircraft), I carefully drill a whole in the bottom and a hole in the mounting surface.  I then glue in a metal pin to the part, then to the surface. When dry, it's solid as a rock.

Joel

8 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Flyboy3394,

look'in real good. Decals came out perfect.

When I have issues with small parts continually breaking off like antennas (WWII aircraft), I carefully drill a whole in the bottom and a hole in the mounting surface.  I then glue in a metal pin to the part, then to the surface. When dry, it's solid as a rock.

Joel

Excellent advice sir! I wish i had thouht of this the first 3 times they broke off. 

1 minute ago, 11bee said:

Great job on the heated metal effect.   I've never been able to satisfactorily replicate this.   How well did those Alcad paints spray?

Thanks! The Alclads sprayed really nicely. Especially given how cold it was when I sprayed. I did heat the paint bottles up a bit, and cranked my space heater to make sure the paint behaved the way i wanted it to. 

I have found the key with the Alclads is the gloss base. It needs to be perfect, or as near to perfect as possible. I usually spray it, then cover it for at least 24 hours to let it fully dry and avoid getting airborne particles in the fresh paint. 

I have 8 Alclad NMF and other paints, so I am well invested in them as of now. 

Update: 

Panel Wash on top is mostly done: I used Abteillung black enamel paint with mineral spirits to thin it. The panel lines are pretty shallow so much of them were wiped away when I attempted to clean the wash off. 

6H8BaFi.jpg

dYr4DO2.jpg

I also bagan mounting the missile stations, which proved to be a bear. Probably should have just mounted them when I first built the frame, pre-paint. 

I am thinking final steps are coming soon. Finish mounting pylons and missiles, install cockpit glass, and hit it with one last clear coat. 

As for the mount, I am thinking something like this: 

23.jpg

Clear acrylic tubing inserted into the afterburner nozzles. 

• 1 month later...

Update:

Model is done! Not as good as id hoped, but its done and I am moving on to the next project with major knowledge of what and what not to do! 

XtBBEVN.jpg

JljaYAI.jpg

And here is the stand I made with clear acrylic tubing and a display base for gundam models. I will be painting the base grey to mask the imperfections left from gluing the tubes in. 

V82IZ0e.jpg

Little supports underneath:

dcVkoku.jpg

I will post final pics of it on the stand next. 

Here it is up on the stand! 

YgFCRMw.jpg

KUPOseI.jpg

yWEdW4W.jpg

Ypo2s29.jpg

FFZqM2G.jpg

The biggest letdowns on my part were the wingtip pylons, which broke over and over: 

M1wkvaj.jpg

Overall, lots of problem areas as this was technically my first kit. Learned a lot, and now will take that knowledge and use it for this:

U29HAM8.jpg

Will be doing a real SU-33 build, gear down, wings down, in the Russian Navy color/camo scheme. I also ordered the Eduard colored PE set for this to really make the cockpit pop and look real! 

Flyboy3394,

Looks mighty impressive on the stand if you ask me. Even more so when you consider that it's your 1st build. I'm officially signing up for your SU-33 build. 

Joel

On 5/16/2018 at 10:39 AM, clioguy said:

Nice! I also like the Whiskey collection 🙂

Spent a lot of time acquiring it. But now doc says I gotta go dry for 2 months! 

on the plus side, gonna get me one of these once i end the 2 months! 

yamazaki-sherry-cask-2016-whisky.jpg?ss=

On 5/22/2018 at 6:56 PM, Flyboy3394 said:

Spent a lot of time acquiring it. But now doc says I gotta go dry for 2 months! 

on the plus side, gonna get me one of these once i end the 2 months! 

yamazaki-sherry-cask-2016-whisky.jpg?ss=

That is a great whiskey! I have a couple of Nikka (Coffee Malt and SIngle Malt) and they are good, though I prefer smokey ones like Lagavulin, Ardbeg, etc 🙂