Douglas Bader's Spitfire color

Hi guys.  I'm working on the 1/48 Revellogram Spitfire Mk2 and I wanted to do it up in the markings of Douglas Bader's plane.  I know pretty much nothing about British color schemes in WW2.  The instructions call out a light grey on the underside, but I can't help but feel this isn't correct.  Or maybe it is?  I'm not sure.  Is it supposed to be light grey, "sky", or some other color?

Thanks!

Eric

Thank you Seawinder.  Yeah, I checked online and I found a ton of profiles, but I never trust those things since I've seen too many with too many mistakes/wrong information.  Then I found a few groups where the topic was discussed, but they would often go on such wild tangents that I just couldn't make heads or tails as to what the final answer was.  

On a gamble, I picked up some Tamiya "Sky" paint last week.  It looks like I'm all set!

Thanks again,

Eric

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Not "sky", but "skye". Skye is often called duck egg green.

Sky. Officially, Sky, Type 'S'...

....Skye with an 'e' is an island off the northwest coast of Scotland...

I have Tamiya XF-21 "Sky" acrylic paint.  Is that the right color for his Spitfire's underside or should I be looking for something else?

Edited by echolmberg
20 minutes ago, echolmberg said:

I have Tamiya XF-21 "Sky" acrylic paint.  Is that the right color for his Spitfire's underside or should I be looking for something else?

That's the color. Sky actually is often described as a pale green with a bit of blue and a lot of white in it. Whether or not Tamiya's rendition is adequately accurate is beyond my ken since I don't use it.

3 hours ago, seawinder said:

That's the color. Sky actually is often described as a pale green with a bit of blue and a lot of white in it. Whether or not Tamiya's rendition is adequately accurate is beyond my ken since I don't use it.

I hear ya.  I know there's been much discussion as to what color (or mixture of colors) is the most accurate.

Thanks for the info!

Eric

I have the Tamiya Sky color as well, and I would have no problem using that paint straight out of the bottle as the underside color of Bader's Spitfire.  Sky is a light greenish color.  If anything, you might consider adding a bit of white to lighten the out of the bottle Sky color, but tha't's as far as I would go.  I think you're fine using the Tamiya color as-is.  Good luck!   I would love to see your plane when it's done!

Edited by Curt B
On 5/22/2021 at 10:08 PM, Curt B said:

I would love to see you plane when it's done!

Thanks Curt!  I'll try to post some pictures when I'm done.  The other night while working at my hobby bench, I discovered that the front windscreen is going to be a problem.  It doesn't exactly fit flush with the fuselage so I'm in the midst of doing some sanding and fitting.  That can be fixed.  The big problem is that the front windscreen flares out wider than the opening and I really don't know how I'm going to deal with that.  The rest of the kit has been absolutely fantastic.  It's just the front windscreen that's taken the wind out of my sails.  I might just decide to center it as best as I can, do a bang-up job on the paint finish, then let it go at that.

Eric

Hey Eric, can you send a photo of your windscreen fit problem?  I'm certainly no magician when it comes to ill fitting plastic, bu maybe there are some tips or ideas the group could throw your way.  I hate to see such an obvious part of your build be a last second problem for you.  We want you to have a perfect airplane!!!

17 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hey Eric, can you send a photo of your windscreen fit problem?  I'm certainly no magician when it comes to ill fitting plastic, bu maybe there are some tips or ideas the group could throw your way.  I hate to see such an obvious part of your build be a last second problem for you.  We want you to have a perfect airplane!!!

That's mighty darned nice of you to suggest that, Curt!  Thanks!  I will see if I can post some pictures either tonight or tomorrow.  I was really excited about this plane on a multitude of levels.  For starters, I build almost all American planes simply because I love the nose art options.  I haven't built a Spitfire since I did the wonderful Snap-Tite kit back in the mid-'70s when I was about 8 or 9 years old.  I want to expand my horizons and I've always enjoyed the lines of the Spitfire.

Secondly, I've always loved the Revell and Monogram kits from the days of my youth.  How could I pass up the chance to build a Revell Spitfire?

Thirdly, (is that even a word?) since I didn't own a single foreign paint color AND since my go-to brand of Model Master is now kaput, this was a chance to try out some new paints!  I purchased the AK Interactive brand of lacquer acrylics in the colors I need and I am so stoked to try them out.  The funky canopy situation has kind of thrown some cold water on my excitement, but I shall endeavor to press on.

It's funny.  Last year I finished a complete foiling of the big Monogram B-29 without a hitch.  My last build was the Revell Titanic in 1/570 scale complete with all the rigging.  After all that, this little canopy is bumming me out.  LOL!

Eric

On 5/26/2021 at 8:26 AM, echolmberg said:

That's mighty darned nice of you to suggest that, Curt!  Thanks!  I will see if I can post some pictures either tonight or tomorrow.  I was really excited about this plane on a multitude of levels.  For starters, I build almost all American planes simply because I love the nose art options.  I haven't built a Spitfire since I did the wonderful Snap-Tite kit back in the mid-'70s when I was about 8 or 9 years old.  I want to expand my horizons and I've always enjoyed the lines of the Spitfire.

Secondly, I've always loved the Revell and Monogram kits from the days of my youth.  How could I pass up the chance to build a Revell Spitfire?

Thirdly, (is that even a word?) since I didn't own a single foreign paint color AND since my go-to brand of Model Master is now kaput, this was a chance to try out some new paints!  I purchased the AK Interactive brand of lacquer acrylics in the colors I need and I am so stoked to try them out.  The funky canopy situation has kind of thrown some cold water on my excitement, but I shall endeavor to press on.

It's funny.  Last year I finished a complete foiling of the big Monogram B-29 without a hitch.  My last build was the Revell Titanic in 1/570 scale complete with all the rigging.  After all that, this little canopy is bumming me out.  LOL!

Eric

Eric,  I understand COMPLETELY how a detail can drive you nuts!!  I almost threw away an Eduard Fw190 because of a bad paint job (on my part), but I kept at it and it turned out okay.  Not great, but okay, though others seemed to like it.  Pictures of it are posted here on the Arc forums.  I think in many cases, we are our own worst critics!

As for me, I've turned into a bit of a Spitfire fanatic, as well as a Tempest, Fw190 and P-38 fanatic (all of which are 1/48 Eduard kits, save for the P-38, which are the recent 1/48 Tamiya kits).  I haven't touched a Revell kit since I was a kid, almost 50 years ago, but I do have one or 2 in my stash, the Apollo lunar module, I think is a Revell.  In my humble opinion, the new model manufacturers just blow away the old ones, except for Tamiya.  Eduard does spectacular aircraft moldings that build into incredible aircraft, along with Zoukei Mura, who make the state of the art F-4 Phantoms, though Tamiya may be challenging that with their forthcoming F-4B.  I'm also thrilled with Meng and Rye Field, though I know them from their armor kits, not aircraft.  If you really like your 1/48 Spitfire, YOU MUST get either the recent 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk. 1 or any of the numerous 1/48 Eduard Spitfires.  I guarantee you'll love them!