CD48199 - 1/48 AD Skyraider in Korea

That will be fantastic!  I hope you'll be able to include one of the Dambusters from the raid that earned them the name.  The last combat use of the aerial torpedo against Hwacheon Dam.  I did some reasearch a while back on which planes were on the raid and I managed to match up at least one of the torpedo carriers with a Bu.no.

I'll dig that out this weekend.

19 hours ago, Chris D said:

That will be fantastic!  I hope you'll be able to include one of the Dambusters from the raid that earned them the name.  The last combat use of the aerial torpedo against Hwacheon Dam.  I did some reasearch a while back on which planes were on the raid and I managed to match up at least one of the torpedo carriers with a Bu.no.

I'll dig that out this weekend.

It would be great if you can find that info - I tried to find out myself without much luck.

There will not be a lot of color on this sheet (Korean War era nose art on most Skyraiders seems to be simple and subdued), but it will have several named aircraft with names and accurately designed unit badges which have never been done as far as I can tell. 

• 2 weeks later...

So here's what I've been able to gather about the Hwacheon Dam raid:

-the mission included pilots and Skyraiders from both VA-195 and the VC-35 detachment (Det. 3) flying AD-4N's. The only three pilots in the air group who had ever dropped torpedoes before all flew the VC-35 Skyraiders on the mission.

-a total of 8 Skyraiders went on the mission and they all carried Mk. 13 torpedoes and no other external armament (5 from VA-195 and 3 from VC-35)

-B-506 and B-503 are conclusively two of the torpedo carriers, but neither seems to have a Bu no available out there.

-B-502 (Bu. no. 128986) and B-515 (Bu. no. 128947) were both definitely in the squadron at the time.  The most likely Bu. no for B-501 was 123827

-another VA-195 Skyraider at the time was Bu. no. 123925, and this is possibly the CAG bird.  It was lost two weeks after the raid with the CAG at the controls.  The CAG did go on the dam raid.  So this could be B-500. 

-B-518 and B-520 are three valid modex for the cruise, but not certain if they were still onboard at the time (VA-195 lost several aircraft earlier in the cruise), if they flew on the raid, or what their Bu. no. were

-the Skyraiders of the VC-35 det retained the NR tail letters of their parent squadron, and carried two digit modex. (most likely 4 aircraft in the det)

-one of the VC-35 aircraft was Bu. no. 124135 but the modex is not known.

One other note: the VA-195 Skyraiders had green fin caps and prop spinners as the 5th squadron in the Air Group (the prop spinners are hard to see in most photographs, but there are at least a couple of photos which confirm this was done).

That's all the information I've been able to gather over the years.  Sorry it isn't perfect, but that is hopefully enough.

Chris