• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 3:51 PM, thefngreek said:

Thinking about starting academy’s 1/35 uh 1c Huey soon so I’m trying to get some info in the mean time.  I’m looking for any pictures of the cabin with the grande launcher ammunition stowage is installed

thanks!

you need to reach out to the guru on HUEYS. Contact Rotowash on this site

On 7/18/2023 at 5:51 PM, thefngreek said:

Thinking about starting academy’s 1/35 uh 1c Huey soon so I’m trying to get some info in the mean time.  I’m looking for any pictures of the cabin with the grande launcher ammunition stowage is installed

thanks!

first off, the cylinder ammo can that comes in the kit was a real piece, but I have never seen a Vietnam UH-1C with one installed.  Also, the tiny stateside 85 round ammo bin was also virtually never used. Instead, most units fabricated their own ammo bins that could carry 300 or more.  Below are some pics from various sources including unit websites.  One shows a comparison drawing between the drum and box ammo bins.  Then there is a schematic photo of the box ammo bin installed in a UH-1B\C.  Then one of my photos of the 85 round box magazine in storage at Ft. Rucker (now Ft. Novosel).  Then there is a picture of the ammo chute as it runs beside the left pilot seat up against the center console (note this is a stateside bird without armored seats). The next shots show the in country modified ammo bins which held many more rounds form various units.  I believe the last shot is the 85 round box bin installed on a stateside bird.  I hope this helps answer your question.

Ray

both types of ammo bin.jpg

PICT7070.JPG

PICT7702.JPG

Armament0063.jpg

129th cobra_soothsayer1970ankh.jpg

135th AHC sagami 60 coleman39.jpg

155th AHC gordon79 66.png

191 AHC IMAGE51.JPG

Armament0034.jpg

I cant thank you enough for the pictures and info!  I have a few more questions now... what were the in country ammo bins made out of? where the bins welded to the bench or were sections cut out? and what kind of equipment was stowed under the bench during missions?

On 8/7/2023 at 10:24 PM, thefngreek said:

I cant thank you enough for the pictures and info!  I have a few more questions now... what were the in country ammo bins made out of? where the bins welded to the bench or were sections cut out? and what kind of equipment was stowed under the bench during missions?

In country ammo bins were made of sheet aluminum based on my research.  However, I've never seen great photos of them up close.

So, about the bench seats.  In most gunships, the bench seat was replaced with a single seat on each side of the door for the crew chief and doorgunner.  My dad was an armorer\doorgunner so this topic is near and dear to me.  If you want to be accurate but keep the bench, you will need to model a very early UH-1C.  The UH-1C entered Vietnam around November 1965.  However, the majority served between 1967- end of the war.  First photo shows the interior of a typical UH-1C gunship from Buddy Cox of the 118th AHC.  Note the individual seats without a seat back and no bench seat installed.  Next pic shows a more detailed view of a 190th AHC gunner's seat from David Montalvo.  Note the wind baffle in the front of the cabin door.  This was typical on Huey gunships but the exact pattern of the holes varies from ship to ship as I assume these were manufactured from what was on hand.  The red ammo can with "KILL" written on it was typical of the type used by many gunners.  Most were factory OD though.  The crewman in the photo is laying on the ammo bins for the M21 minigun system this bird is fitted with.  Third shot is also from David and shows a typical doorgunner with his bungee mounted M60A.  Also, note the large ammo can at his feet.  Photo 4 is yet another from David and you can see a very good view of the cabin seat.  This is the left side so probably the Crew Chief sitting in it.  Once again you can see the large ammo bin and wind baffle.  Believe me I have tons more photos but these should give you a decent starting point.  Hope they help.

Ray

854416514_BuddyCox003-1.jpg

588235978_DavidMontalvo099edited.jpg

David Montalvo103.jpg

494316037_DavidMontalvo155edited.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

Your dad definitely has my respect! And those pictures helped a lot! I tried scratch building the 40mm ammo bin and i failed horribly… so i just got into 3d printing and I’m gonna try to do a whole cabin including the chairs, ammo boxes and the grenade ammo bin.  My first question… What kind of handles were used on the ammo boxes?

Edited by thefngreek
1 hour ago, thefngreek said:

Your dad definitely has my respect! And those pictures helped a lot! I tried scratch building the 40mm ammo bin and i failed horribly… so i just got into 3d printing and I’m gonna try to do a whole cabin including the chairs, ammo boxes and the grenade ammo bin.  My first question… What kind of handles were used on the ammo boxes?

Just type in "Vietnam Era Ammo boxes" in a Google search and you will see tons of photos of them.  These are large ammo boxes with the tops removed.

Ray